Chapter 17

The rebel ship had docked some distance from the city. A land cruiser was waiting to take Waverly on the final part of her journey. A sharp tug on the wrists told her to keep moving. She held on tightly to the key, each tug making it slip. She just managed to catch it before it dropped out of her hand. The key was her lifeline. She had no idea how, or where it worked on the collar. She would figure that out. Right now, she possessed something more valuable than anything she had ever owned in her life.

The guard pulled her along at an increasing pace, keen to get through the crowds come to see her fight. Her eyes were still adjusting to the light and a surface no longer vibrating under her feet. Escape constantly on her mind, Waverly contemplated taking the guard down, pulsing him, releasing the wrist restraints, running off.

Where would she go? Not out there beyond the docking area. A vast landscape of nothing. Barren. Hostile, like The Pit. No water, no shelter from the scorching suns. She would last no more than a few hours at most. Hiding on another ship perhaps. Who knew what trouble that would bring. A wrong choice leading her to a worse fate, if that was even possible.

They reached the cruiser. The guard entered first, pulling Waverly on board behind him. He pointed to a seat at the rear, taking one in front, watching her the whole time. He had her sword.

The Pit was a terrifying place. Even for those flocking to see the fights. A crater, bowl-shaped, the sides of which were chiselled out for seating. Its shape amplifying the screams from a crowd baying for violent entertainment. A warren of underground passageways where fighters prepared, leading out to a circular arena. Blood stained from previous participants.

The last living moments of a fighter on full display. The bloodier the end the better. Those who had paid good money wanted a good fight. Good, as in dirty. Vicious. Emotions running high, fights frequently breaking out in the crowd as those watching became immersed in the action. As Hardy had warned, it was never a fair fight. The Pit was there to make money for its owners. Fighters were only useful for what they brought in.

Waverly stood at the entrance. A hefty metal door, twice her height, the last view of the outside world. On the other side lay a world she dreaded. Her breathing increased, wanting to be anywhere but here. Dimly lit tunnels the only relief from the glaring light outside. Torches positioned along walls casting an amber glow. Cooler, the air dry. Bodies moving around her. It reeked of fear.

The guard stopped at a holding cell, removing her wrist grips, shoving her inside.

"Your new home. Don't get too comfortable. You won't be here long."

"Water. Can I have water?"

"Sure."

The guard bent down, picking up a metal bucket left outside the cell, throwing its contents over her. She turned away as it hit her side. At least it was water, nothing worse.

"You get food and water after you fight."

"I need water. Please."

The guard studied her face, recognising her request was genuine. He took a cup from the shelf by his shoulder, dipping it in another bucket, handing it to Waverly through the bars.

She gulped the water, handing the cup back. His features had softened, he seemed to understand her plight, finally. He offered another cup of water.

"I'll get one of the guards to bring you something."

She looked around her temporary housing. If she never saw another set of bars it would be too soon. At least this cell was larger, had somewhere to lie down, somewhere to relieve herself other than down a hole. She let the bed take her weight. A luxury. Her hand massaged the key, noting its shape. She felt the collar for a corresponding shape. There, towards the back, a small flap. She lifted it with her fingers. A place for the key to fit. Her heart danced. In the midst of so much misery, this simple discovery brought her so much joy.