Chapter 26

Nicole couldn't breathe. Waverly's tongue about to send her tumbling over the edge. She pushed her head away. "Too sensitive. Where have you been all my life?"

"I know where I am right now."

"I can't hold on. Waverly, I'm..."

Waverly moved up Nicole's body to lay beside her, reaching for her hand, moving it to her mark.

"Ready?"

"No. No. Fuck, do it."

Nicole felt Waverly's energy shoot through her body. Her scream, as their bodies mixed once more, loud enough to make Waverly's family stop drinking by the fire pit.

"Such an amazing energy that one," Aunt Gus commented. If I didn't know better..."

Waverly's father nodded. "Would explain. She's Gideon. Her family are Gideon. An Elder. Unless."

Aunt Gus nodded. "Unless."

Nicole felt the energetic pulse, unlike anything she had felt before. She heard her own scream, a distant sound, beyond the reality she now occupied. Diving deep into a tranquil, blissful state. Her body satisfied beyond anything physical.

Nothingness. Breathing stopped. Movement stopped. Time stopped. Worlds suspended. Beyond thought. Beyond understanding. Momentarily. And then, a heartbeat. She could feel a heartbeat. Not hers. Waverly's. Definitely Waverly's. So beautiful. So perfect.

Panic. Waverly's energy engulfing her. Drowning her. She needed to swim away. Arms flayed to get to the surface of her being.

"Nicole. Nicole."

Her name hammered against a new reality she was fighting. "Let me swim. I can do this."

Waverly shook her body. "Look at me."

Nicole opened her eyes. "Fancy a trip to the ocean?"

Waverly laughed. "Perhaps we don't do this for a while."

"I'm needed on the flight deck."

"Nicole. Seriously."

"Teasing. Can we get some of your mother's soup?"

"I can see what you really want."

"Wait. What can you see?"

"Your body wants another orgasm."

"I really am thinking your mother's soup right now."

"My mother's soup?"

"Your mother knows how to take care of me."

"You are in so much trouble."

Nicole ran her hand down Waverly's back, eliciting a moan. Waverly responded, dragging her nails up Nicole's thigh. Waverly's family celebrated their love making, laughing and cheering the young couple into the night.

Waverly's mother took a swig of home brew. "What of Gideon?"

"I fear it is lost unless they return to the planet."

"Will you go with them?"

"Perhaps. Gideon are a proud people. They may not accept my vision."

"I will go too," Waverly's father announced.

"I honour you." Aunt Gus replied. "Waverly will need a protector, given what they face."

"Do we tell Nicole of her power?" he asked.

"Leave it to me. I will explain to Nicole what I see. Help her understand."

It was very late. Aunt Gus entered the house. Nicole and Waverly were seated at the table quietly eating soup. A look of contentment on Nicole's face having found the place where she finally felt she belonged. Where she no longer felt a misfit.