Chapter 21

Nicole had seen oceans, mostly with her father, none were like this. It spoke to her soul, knowing Waverly had gazed at the same view growing up, learnt to swim here with Wynonna, caught fish here with Willa. Her eyes followed wave after wave as they crashed on the shore. The sound meditative.

Waverly was beside her, hand resting on her back, glad to see the ocean again, glad to see her parents again. She was home.

She leant her head against Nicole's shoulder. "What are you thinking?"

"I'd love to build a house here. Wake up to this, with you."

"The Elders wouldn't be happy."

"No, but I would. I'm guessing, so would you.

Waverly nodded. "It's your destiny to become an Elder."

"It's my destiny to be with you."

"Please don't give everything up for me."

"All my life I've gone along with what others expected of me. This is where I want to be."

"What if we don't make it back from Argon?"

Nicole turned to face her. "We will. I know we will. My aunt said the talisman will protect us."

"I'm really scared."

"Me too. Scared of losing you. Never again Waverly Angel Earp. You're stuck with me."

"I'm not an angel all the time."

"And, now I'm incredibly turned on with your father watching."

"I could ask him to leave for a few hours. Perhaps we could swim."

"Forgot to bring a swim suit."

Waverly winked. "Me too."

Waverly's father handed her a bag. "Your mother thought you might want time alone. She packed food and towels. I'll be back before sunset."

Waverly hugged her father. "I'm glad you're coming with us."

Swimming in the ocean was magical. It took time for Nicole to adjust to the movement of water around her body, preferring to watch Waverly swim effortlessly. The smile on her face telling Nicole she was happy. They lay on a towel, the cool breeze drying their bodies. She no longer wanted to be anywhere but here, no longer wanted to go off exploring on her own. Here was all she wanted to explore. Here was home.

"And here I," she repeated silently. Her new mantra.

They heard Waverly's father approaching, frantically pulling on clothes, giggling at being caught like naughty children. He remained in the cruiser allowing them to make themselves decent. Nicole's eyes were heavy as they drove back to the house. Fighting to keep them open, she studied the landscape, wanting to take in as much as she could of her new surroundings. The mountains and valleys of Waverly's early life. Exquisite, natural beauty laid bare.

Waverly's mother had prepared a feast. The volume of food on one table astounded Nicole, more accustomed to smaller portions on Gideon, the planet's limited growing space requiring a reduced diet for its inhabitants.

Waverly's mother took Nicole's hand. "Come sit, enjoy. Let me know if you need more."

"Thank you. You are too generous."

"Tell me about Gideon."

"I'm sure Waverly has told you plenty."

"I want to hear from you."

Nicole spent most of the meal informing Waverly's mother. Sat in rapt attention, she studied the changing patterns of Nicole's energy as she explained what it was like growing up the daughter of an Elder. Waverly's father sat quietly at the other end of the table. Watching.