Chapter 18

Nicole stared at the body bag. "What do you mean, this isn't your sister?"

"It is my sister. Just not the one you're expecting."

"Nicole shook her head. "One job and you fuck it up."

"Language, there are children present."

"Is Waverly in this bag, or not? Wait, you swear all the time."

"I'm allowed. And, no she's not."

"Where is she?"

"No idea. On the plus side, I won't have to blast her."

"Really want to blast you right now."

"She has the key. Correction. Had." Wynonna held it up in her hand. "Before she vanished."

A muffled voice was heard. "She didn't vanish. She fought me."

Nicole unzipped the body bag. "Seriously, who are you?"

The contact entered in a hurry. "Can we go, it's getting rowdy outside. They wanted a kill."

"Not yet. We need to get our sister,"

The contact pointed to the bag. "You have her."

"We don't. This is Willa. Waverly is missing."

"That's why he stopped the fight. He's already left."

Their rescue of Waverly had failed. She was now in the hands of Svane. Wynonna shook her head, not what she had planned, none of it. She had gained one sister, lost another. It was dangerous enough stealing into The Pit, attempting to extract a fighter, without getting caught. They now had the new, more dangerous, task of getting Waverly away from a lunatic.

Doc was waiting by the craft. He looked at Willa, then Wynonna. Wynonna returned his gaze. "Long story."

The craft made its way to the ship. Nicole unable to express her frustration at Wynonna, her worry for Waverly. Doc broke the silence. "Where do you think Svane will take her?"

"His planet. I'm sure of it." Willa offered.

Nicole felt tears welling. She didn't want to cry in front of Wynonna. If only she had been there. If only she had seen her. If only she had rescued her. If only. Wynonna looked over seeing Nicole's sadness.

"We'll get her back. I promise." Wynonna moved closer. "I know it's a fuck up. I fucked up. I'll unfuck it. I swear."

"I'm in charge from now on."

Wynonna put her arm round Nicole. "We go get our girl."

Rosita was waiting for their return. She looked pleased to see them until the news of Waverly's further disappearance was relayed. They could hear her sobs down the corridor. The group headed to the Coms room. They needed to contact Legion. Nicole spoke first, explaining where they were, what they had done, what they had failed to do.

"You are in violation of Code 25. You will be removed from command and stationed on Gideon."

Wynonna interrupted. "Hi, remember me. Commander Earp. Small problem. We need her to rescue my sister."

"Commander Earp what are you doing on this ship?"

"Vacation. As I was saying, we have a task we need her to perform."

"You are relieved of command too."

"Really. How many times is that? Five. Make up your minds. By the way, I have someone who knows the layout of Svane's defences."