Chapter 33

Nicole's aunt finished the last of the herbal tea, nodding her approval. "Whoever did this wanted to fool us into believing Gideon no longer could support life. There has been talk of someone. Bulshar."

Nicole kicked the smouldering roots with her foot. Something deeper than the roots troubled her. This had been too simple. Too easy. Her eyes lifted to her aunt. "Did the Elders do everything to save Gideon?"

"I truly believed they had until now."

How had the scientists not spotted the roots, Nicole wondered. Her mother was an eminent botanist. How had she not realised what was happening? "Did you speak with my mother before she left?"

"The briefest of conversations. She said the disease was too embedded. I assumed she meant whatever had infected the crops. I'm beginning to wonder whether she meant our elite system."

"Are you thinking what I'm thinking aunt?"

"I am. That the rot goes deeper than these roots. Someone is being helped by the Gideon elite."

Bulshar was growing impatient. Word had been sent by his spies to expect an announcement imminently the planet was to be abandoned. A master manipulator, more than happy to exploit those who could be corrupted, he had slithered his way to Gideon's leaders, winning over those who had the most influence and the most to gain. Namely Elders and those in Legion ready to do the unthinkable. Join with a snake for their own enrichment.

Returning to the apartment they found Wynonna asleep on the couch, a half-empty canister of red on the small table in front, Waverly's father standing on the balcony. He smiled as they entered. "The garden is coming back to life."

"Our plants were corrupted," Nicole explained. "As I suspect Gideon's elite have been corrupted."

Gus nodded. "It would explain my visions. Elders huddled together discussing the future. I assumed it was for the good of the people."

Nicole's aunt grabbed the canister, taking a swig of red, coughing as it hit the back of her throat. "So sorry. Needed that. Traitors, the lot of them. Happy to let their people starve just to line their own pockets and stomachs. To think I trusted them."

"Some decisions by our elite have troubled me for ages," Nicole added. "I never understood why Legion let Svane get away with stealing food shipments, or why they thought it to their advantage to enter into a fight with Svane so far away, sacrificing so many of our ships. It now makes perfect sense. All were efforts to weaken Gideon for the final act in a carefully laid plan."

"You mean, this was all planned from within?" Waverly asked.

"My father once told me to be wary of those with smiling faces when going to war. There were too many smiling faces amongst the elite that day Legion announced we were going after Svane. Remember?"

Waverly blushed. "I only remember everyone embarrassing me about us being together."

"Your father was honest and true," Nicole's aunt interrupted. "Often wondered if his murder was by design. I'm sorry, I shouldn't have said that. Forgive me."

"It's OK. My mother said the same. Didn't understand at the time. I'm beginning to now."

"Someone mention food," Wynonna mumbled, opening one eye. "I could do with something to cook up. I'm starving."

Waverly's father took out enough fruit from his sack, laying it on a table. The other provisions were shared out, everyone grateful they had something to eat. Even with Nicole's efforts, her aunt was right, it would take time to bring Gideon back to life.