Chapter 34

Waverly had the strangest feeling as they walked to Wynonna's craft. "I need to go back. I can feel someone needs my help."

Nicole could see something was troubling her. "It's not safe my love. Bulshar's men are too many for us. Plus, we need to take these Gideon vermin back with us."

"I understand, but my heart is being pulled to whoever it is. I need to go get them."

The group stopped, weighing up their options. Wynonna shook her head. "I have a really, really bad feeling about this. Waves, this is not the time to go in all guns blazing. We can send word to the Union to rid this base of the rebels."

"No, I can't leave. Please, you don't understand. I can't leave him here."

"Him?" Nicole questioned. "Who is him?"

"Hardy. The one person who kept me sane while I was a prisoner. He's here, I know it."

"Waves, Waves, Waves, it's impossible," Wynonna instructed. "We could all die rescuing one person."

"I will stay with the Gideon traitors," their father interrupted. "I agree, it is a suicide mission, but I understand my daughter's anguish at leaving this Hardy behind."

"Thank you, father. So, who's with me?"

Nicole looked at Wynonna. Wynonna looked at Nicole. "I blame you Haught. You've turned her into an action hero. She was into butterflies before she met you."

"Still is," Nicole replied, winking at Waverly.

"Fine," Wynonna said, kicking a stone with her boot. "But, if I get killed, I'm seriously going to be so pissed with you Waverly Earp."

The traitors were bound and left on the craft, the gang of three returning to the edge of the complex, watching, waiting for an opportunity to enter. Waverly focused her mind once more, her stones providing a clear vision of where Hardy was being kept. Four levels down, near the generators. A changeover of guards provided a small window of opportunity, Wynonna jumping the last one from behind as they marched past their hiding place. She donned the uniform, slightly too large, but would serve its purpose.

Approaching the other guards, she informed them a prisoner was on the loose, needing help bringing them back. Two guards followed her, Nicole taking both out with her energy pulse, the three now dressed to fit in. Well almost.

"You could have picked a smaller guard," Waverly moaned, the uniform far too large for her.

"Like I had a choice. I knew you were going to be trouble when you were born."

"I'm just saying, if I fall over because this suit is too long."

"I will laugh. I will hold my sides and laugh at you. Now, will you stop treating this like a fashion parade. We're about to get our butts kicked by a very large army."

Entering the complex, they made their way quickly along corridors, their heads down, not wanting to catch the eye of other guards. Descending to Level Four, Wynonna went ahead, checking the cells, whispering Hardy's name as she passed. One miserable looking figure moved towards the bars, thinner than Waverly remembered. She gasped when she saw him. He recognised her immediately, smiling, relieved to see a friendly face.

Nicole told everyone to stand back, a pulse to the cell door cracking the lock in two, allowing it to open easily. Waverly hugged her friend, glad to be in a position to save his life. As they passed back along the row, a woman's voice called out from one of the cells. "Hello, it's me. Remember."

Waverly stared, trying to place her, suddenly realising it was the pilot, captured at the same time she was taken prisoner. Another energy pulse the group retraced their steps, heading for the entrance. Wynonna took up the rear, falling behind a little to give them a chance should they be attacked. As they rounded a corner, they came face to face with a group of rebels, both equally surprised to see the other. Their badly-fitting uniforms gave them away, the look on the face of the leading rebel telling them he was going to enjoy their deaths. Nicole pushed Waverly behind her, the rebel leader laughing, knowing their group outnumbered these weak females. He lifted his gun, ready to shoot, Nicole not flinching, staring calmly into his eyes.