Chapter 24

Light streamed into the bedroom. Nicole had fallen asleep beside Waverly, her hand resting on her hip, careful not to get too close. Waverly's mother had warned she needed to remain cool. Her body was still fighting the process, an internal battle forging her into something new.

Alchemy personified.

Waverly stirred, the first time in three days. Nicole felt the movement through her hand. She sat up ready to tend to her lover, do whatever was needed to make her comfortable. She touched Waverly's forehead, cooler than it had been for the past few days. Sill warm. It worried Nicole. She had taken no fluids other than her mother's herbal drink, the sweating had subsided, but she looked so pale. So fragile.

Nicole could see she was trying to open her eyes. "I'm here. Lie still. Everything's alright."

"Exam."

"It's done. All done."

"No. I have to."

"You took the exam. Probably got top marks if I know you."

"I have to."

"Waverly, it's OK. It's done."

She fell back into a deep sleep. The exam still playing on her mind. Waverly's mother came in with a new brew of her potion. She could see Waverly's energy had changed. "She's dreaming. A good sign."

"Still thinks she's taking the exam."

"Her mind is adjusting to a new reality. It's hanging onto the last event as an anchor." The mother rested a hand on Nicole's shoulder. "She will need you to ground her. Knowing the future can be a blessing and a curse."

"I'll do everything I can."

"Her gift can be used for good or evil. It takes a strong person to follow the right path. She will need you to protect her. Keep her safe. Away from those who would seek her gift for selfish gain."

"My duty and my honour for family. Never understood that until now."

"Your paths were meant to cross."

"Yes. I honestly feel we were meant for each other."

The mother nodded. "May I offer one piece of advice. Don't let Waverly pulse you for a while. She'll want to, more than ever, but it would not be wise. Her energies need to settle."

Nicole was about to find out what this meant. Several hours later, relaxing on the bed reading, she felt a hand touching her leg. Waverly turned to face her, the first physical movement in days. She stared into Nicole's eyes, penetrating, diving into her soul. No longer dazzling green, her eyes shone deep blue. Like the ocean. Mesmerising.

"I need you," Waverly growled, pulling herself up, straddling Nicole, pinning her to the bed, forcing her hands above her head.

"Waves. We can't, not yet."

"Now."

"Your mother said we must wait."

"I'm burning for you."

"OK. But, go easy."

Waverly gripped Nicole's shirt. A new intensity Nicole had never seen, Waverly's movements to get at her body unnerving. A hunger, a desperate need. Insatiable. Nicole tried to slow her movements. The more she tried the more Waverly seemed to enjoy the struggle.

A ripping sound told Nicole her top was no longer wearable. Straight up the middle, exposing her. Waverly's head dipping, finding a nipple, the sensation rippling through Nicole's body as never before. She gasped, wanting to hold off, desperate for new Waverly.