Chapter 10

The sky hopper left the ground on its way to the ship. Nicole sat towards the front, Waverly at the back. The same positions as when they met. Except, everything was different. Their journey had become entwined. A taste for the other awakened. A growing appetite. All those who had come before mere appetisers to the main course now laid on the table. A banquet. Neither dared look directly at the other.

Rosita positioned herself beside Waverly. "How was your down time? Get up to anything?"

"Not much. You?"

"Family needed help with the harvest. We had a good crop this year."

"We have a farm. I miss it."

"You must come visit ours when we get back."

Waverly saw Rosita studying her face. She tugged at the collar of her flight suit. Nicole could see Waverly out of the corner of her eye. She wondered what Rosita was saying to make her so uncomfortable. Doc waved his hand in front of Nicole's face to get her attention.

"Haught. What do you think of our chances?"

"Our chances?"

"Against Svane."

"He's been building his army for some time."

"Legion better know what it's doing sending us in."

"It will need careful planning. This is no longer about Svane."

"True. He's convinced many his way is right. They're hungry for war."

"I'm not. My appetite's changed."

Rosita unpacked her bags, returning to the shared area of their quarters, where Waverly was sitting reading a message from Wynonna. She stood behind her, wanting to say something, not quite sure how to say it. Eventually Rosita asked whether she was going to get something to eat. Waverly shook her head. She needed to send a message home, tell her mother everything was good. She could feel Rosita gazing at her, enough for Waverly to recognise what was happening. Great, she thought, just perfect. If things weren't complicated enough.

She wondered where Nicole was. They had agreed not to message each other, unless it could be done under the guise of work. She joined the others in the main communal area. Better to carry on as normal. She chose the new offering on the menu. Her preference for vegan food catered for, most of the meals on board non-meat anyway. A mixture of synthetic protein, pulses and barely edible carbs.

Rosita was sitting at the large table with Chetri, laughing with him, occasionally glancing over at Waverly, as if to catch her eye. Waverly pretended not to notice. The advantage of being Andherei. Peripheral senses heightened to the point she could tell what each person in close proximity was doing without having to look. Nicole entered, heading to the water dispenser. She took two capsules, her eyes glancing over as she left. Waverly heard Nicole's voice in her earpiece.

"I need you to check over the new craft."

Getting up, clearing her tray away, she smiled at Rosita. Rosita smiled back. She could feel Rosita's eyes on her back as she exited.

Nicole was already in the craft. She waited for Waverly to board, closing the door behind her. As soon as they were inside, she pulled Waverly into a kiss. It took her by surprise. Nicole was usually gentle, tentative. Shy even. This was hunger. A delicious meal needing to be consumed quickly before it lost its heat. Waverly responded. Leaning in, letting Nicole know she was equally hungry.

"We haven't long."

"Long for what?"

"You know."