Chapter 16

"I imagined."

Waverly brushed Nicole's hair behind her ear. "Tell me."

"I imagined you with me. So many times. Lying beside me. Your hair teasing my shoulder. Lips almost within reach. Your eyes allowing me to dive into eternity."

"What else?"

"That's not enough?"

"Where was your heart?"

Nicole placed her hand on Waverly's chest. "Here."

"Where?"

"Here."

"I can only feel half. Nicole, where's the other half?"

"Waverly, it's all here. Please..."

Nicole woke. Her vest soaked. The same nightmare haunting her. She looked at the chill cabinet, wondering whether to take a sleep potion. She didn't want to. She wanted to dream about Waverly. But, every dream ended the same. Her being with Waverly. Waverly asking her a question. Her response never enough. Always something missing. Incomplete.

She got up, opened the cabinet, grabbing a water capsule, her eyes moving to the couch. The memories flooded back. She took a mouthful of water. Her heart yearned to be with her. Complete. She wasn't strong enough to send her energy to Waverly without Wynonna. She had tried. Countless times. Failing. All she had were her dreams and her memories. Ghosts.

She sat, running her hand across the now vacant space where Waverly once made love to her. She leant back, closing her eyes, letting her imagination take over. Waverly's hands moving across bare skin. Pressing her shoulders down, taking her. Taking over her body. Lips moving down, down, nearer. Slowly, so slow it made her gasp remembering the motion. Nearing her stomach. Pausing. Knowing their intention. Moving on. Finding their way. Parting her legs. Tongue meeting her. Teasing. Over and over. Hands across thighs. Fingers seeking entry. Moving to satisfy. Faster and faster. A rhythm her body wanted. Bringing her closer to the edge.

Nicole opened her eyes. She needed Waverly. In the flesh. At her core.

She changed her vest, pulling on her flight suit and boots. The corridors were quiet as she made her way to the communal area. Wynonna was sitting at the table scanning her tablet, taking bites out of something next to her. Nicole stood in the doorway, not sure whether to disturb. Too late. Wynonna turned, waiting for her to approach. She pulled out a chair, watching quietly as Wynonna busied herself in whatever she was studying.

Wynonna eventually looked up. "Can't sleep?"

"I can't stop thinking about her."

"Absence makes the heart do things. Or, something, something."

"Have you ever felt that way?"

"Sure. Right before I kill them."

Nicole studied Wynonna's face, unable to tell if she was joking. "Why are you still up?"

"Needed something to eat."

"Do you ever stop?"

"Eating, or thinking?"

"Both. Your trips to Alterlan. How many times?"

"This will be my fourth. Haven't been caught. Yet. Most too drunk, or too stupid to figure out why they're a prisoner short after a visit from me. If she's wearing a collar that's a problem."

"Why?"

"They could kill her before I get it off. I'm studying the release mechanism. Two options. Blast it off, which Waverly might not like. Or, spend time neutralising."