Chapter 22

Waverly's father drifted in and out of consciousness, his body in shock as the toxin spread through his veins, dragging him closer to death. He didn't have long. The animal that attacked had deposited enough poison to kill anyone not Andherei within minutes.

Waverly placed her hand on his forehead. "He's burning up. Do something. Please."

"He is close to death. His energy is barely visible," the hunter replied.

"He mustn't die. Not like this."

"My child, do not worry."

"I can't do this. Even if I survive, it will kill me. Please save him."

"If that is what you want. It means I cannot save you. My payment remains the same."

Waverly turned to Nicole. "I know you want to save me, but this is my choice. If I have to be parted from you let it be this way."

Nicole extracted a canister from her pack. "One drink. To us."

Waverly accepted the canister, knowing it would be the last drink they ever shared. She took a swig. Nicole motioned for her to take another. Her father's home brew hitting the back of her throat. More bitter than she remembered, an unmistakable taste of chemicals she recognised after the second mouthful.

"What have you done?"

"It was meant for your father. He wanted to be the sacrifice. Forgive me."

"How could you? How could you? This was my choice. Not yours."

Waverly could feel the sleep potion taking effect. She staggered, no longer able to focus on the room. Hands reached out to grab the stone block in front her for support, Nicole's arms around her waist for support.

Her last words. "Nicole. No."

Her body slumped into Nicole's arms, her eyes closed, head lolling back. Nicole placed her on the block. She knew she had betrayed Waverly. To save her, robbing her of the ability to decide her own fate. Unforgivable. In Nicole's eyes justifiable. Her mission was to keep Waverly alive at any cost, even if it meant whatever the hunter had in store for her.

The hunter placed a hand on the shimmering form. "There my love, be still."

Nicole could see it respond. A purple hue danced across its surface acknowledging the hunter's touch.

The hunter looked at Waverly's motionless body. "I fear your rash act will cost you dearly."

"I did it for Waverly."

"Did you? Not for you?"

In a moment of clarity Nicole realised what she had done. "I failed her. I failed her, when she needed me the most."

The Hunter nodded. "Wisdom is found if one chooses to learn the lesson."

"I'll never make it up to her. She'll never forgive me."

The Hunter smiled. "Maybe, maybe not. I'll ask you again, what do you desire most?"

"You have my answer. Take my sight. I deserve it. In fact, take my life. It's worthless now."

"I cannot take a life. Not for one touched by an Angel."

"Angel, or not, my life is over."

"I'm waiting."

"For what?"

"Your answer. What do you desire most?"

Tears ran down Nicole's cheeks. "I want her back. I just want her back."