Chapter 4

A first day completed, Waverly returned to her quarters. Time to relax, catch up on messages. She missed home. Missed her cadet friends. Everything was new. It would take time to adjust. She hoped she would win favour with Haught. Show her what she was capable of achieving, on her own. She would make sure she blended in with the crew. What was it Haught said? No shining stars.

Bustillos entered. Tired. So much to do to keep a pulse ship running efficiently. As co-pilot to Haught, she had her work cut out. Making sure navigation routes were aligned for jumps. Checking asteroid movements. Monitoring updates on solar flares. She patted Waverly on the shoulder.

"Where did you learn to fly like that? Haught was impressed."

"Really? I think Haught has a problem with my family."

"Honey, you're not your sister. She'll figure it out."

"Hope so."

"I bet Haught is jealous. I mean, your sister is everything Haught wants to be."

"She is? I can't see Haught getting drunk on blues the way Wynonna does."

Rosita clapped her hands together. "Girl, wait till you see Haught drunk. So funny. So soft."

Waverly sat contemplating a soft Haught. A drunk Haught, having fun. She wondered what Haught was like out of uniform. Not rigid, she imagined. Snapping out of her daydream, she looked up at Bustillos.

"Friends call me Waves."

"Just Rosita. Friends call me anytime they want."

Waverly laughed. Rosita was her kind of friend. Sociable. Easy to be with. "What's Haught's first name?"

"Nicole. You know she's Elderman Haught's daughter. As in. Doesn't spread it around."

Waverly listened intently. Nicole. She liked that name. She didn't come across as the daughter of an Elder. Waverly had heard they liked to mix only with their own kind. She suddenly felt even more self-conscious crushing on her. Commander Haught, Nicole, would be an Elder one day. So beyond the reach of someone like her. A farmer's daughter from Keplar. A nobody.

She resumed her messages home. Her mother wanted to know about her first day. Whether she had any news of Wynonna. Wynonna was not one for keeping in touch. Waverly sent her sister a message anyway, to let her know she hadn't crashed a pulse ship, yet.

Chrissy messaged to say she loved being on board ship. Hard work. Lots to learn. She would get to fly in a few days. Waverly felt smug she had already proven herself flight-wise. She replied to Chrissy.

K74: Can't believe we are here doing this. Hope you have a great first flight. Love you.

G571: Crew are great. Love you to the stars.

Waverly smiled at Chrissy's message. She couldn't wait till they were back on Gideon sharing stories in more detail. There was only so much you could put in a message between ships. Best not to be too open in case someone intercepted the message.

Waverly was ready for sleep. She was about to exit her coms screen when a message flashed up.

Haught: Perfect first jump. Well done. Welcome to the crew.

Waverly read the message several times. Her heart soared. Haught's words the balm she needed to know she might make it on her own terms. She couldn't stop smiling. She went to her sleep quarters knowing she was part of a crew.

...---... ...---... ...---...

"Haught. We need to discuss the mission. Meet me in Coms room T-15."