Chapter Seven

WILLOW'S POV

"Charlie wake up. It's time for school."I shook my brother awake bright and early Monday morning.

He moaned in his sleep shutting his eyes tighter as if I couldn't see him. He was awake, that much I knew, just pretending to be asleep so I'd leave him alone. I had already done that an hour ago when I had tried waking him up for the first time but if he didn't wake up within the next ten minutes we would definitely be late and we had a busy morning ahead of us.

"Charlie I'm serious, get up or you're going to be late for school."I demanded in a more stern voice as I pulled the blankets off his body.

"I don't want to."He mumbled his eyes fluttering open for the first time.

"I know buddy but I can leave you in the house with mom as I go to school all day."I suggested.

His body immediately jerked awake at the mention of being left with our mom all day. He held his hands out for me which was his way of asking me to help him up.

"Good choice."I commended carrying him out of bed and onto his wheelchair.

I pushed him to the bathroom and proceeded to help him get ready. I was ready myself, our lunches were packed and everything was set for our first day.

Getting Charlie ready turned out to be more of a fight that I had anticipated. He challenged me at every turn, even going as far as faking illness so he could avoid going to school. Too bad for him that I was already acquainted with his tactics otherwise I would have actually fallen into his trap.

Thirty minutes later I finally managed to help him get ready. We were already a few minutes behind schedule but better late than never right.

"Willow I can't find my bag."He cried as he rolled himself into the kitchen.

I pointed at the bag on top of the kitchen island and instead of looking relieved, he frowned. That was probably because I found it stashed away in the back of his closet. It was probably his last attempt at skipping school.

"You're going to school today Charlie. Now settle down its breakfast time, we need you well fed for you first day."I demanded in a soft tone.

He huffed before doing as I asked. We had a quiet breakfast together before I loaded us into the truck and drove us to school. I'd be dropping Charlie off first before I went to school myself.

"You know the drill right. You get off school earlier than I do so what do you do?"I asked him.

"I wait till you come get me."He replied with a sulk.

"I don't like this more than you do Charlie but its our system and it works."I sympathized.

I got off at three so he had to wait for at least forty five minutes for me. I didn't like it but I had no one else I could trust to pick him up.

"What if the kids pick on me?"Charlie mumbled looking on the verge of tears.

It broke my heart seeing him struggle like that but he needed to go to school. I would have homeschooled him but I had school myself.

"We already talked about this bud. If anyone makes fun of you, you suck it up and wait till I get there so I can handle it. Don't try to be a hero, last time that happened I had to get you a new wheelchair and you know how expensive they are."I explained.

Charlie nodded but still didn't looked convinced.

"Hey buddy, remember, it's just you and me versus the whole world."I said putting my hand back so he could link my pinky with his.