Chapter Thirty Eight

WILLOW'S POV

Doctor Kim had been right when she said that the recovery process would not be easy but through it all Charlie had remained brave faced and determined. Walking had been his dream ever since he was a baby and no amount of pain was going to stop him from achieving his goal.

Charlie had stayed at the hospital for two more weeks before he was discharged. He couldn't go back to school immediately and had to stay home for four weeks. I didn't trust anyone to watch him so I'd talked to the principal who had allowed me to study from home for a month as long as I kept my grades up. That hadn't been an issue for me because I had the support of the most amazing boyfriend who always brought me all my homework and took it back to school for me. Jack had also been very understanding and had hired someone else to stand in for me while I stayed home to take care of Charlie.

My mom had come back from her booze cruise to find Charlie alive and well much to her disappointment. Her refusal to help Charlie and her rude behavior towards us had erased all doubt I ever had about leaving Crescent. I would be turning eighteen in three weeks and as soon as I did I would start getting all the preparations ready us to leave. Getting my mother to relinquish her rights to us would be easy as she never wanted responsibility of us in the first place. The hard part was talking Henry into leaving with us. As much as he didn't get along with his family, Crescent had been his home all his life and he would probably have qualms leaving it all behind. I also had to think about how we would all cope with leaving Jack behind. Charlie would miss Alex but he was a social kid and would make friends anywhere we went m.

It was exactly one month after Charlie's surgery and I was at Walmart shopping while Charlie was at his therapy session. I usually stayed and kept him company hyping him up but we were both going back to school come Monday and I'd planned a whole weekend for us to enjoy our last days of freedom. For that we needed snacks thus why I was shopping and having fun while at it.

My phone pinged with a text as I was looking for our favorite ice-cream flavor. I retrieved it and immediately groaned when I saw who was texting me. Ever since Henry and I went to see Colton for the signatures he had been texting and calling me a lot. I had no idea where he got my number from but seeing as he owned a tech company it would not have been hard for him to get it. I had been ignoring all forms of contact with him because I had no idea why he would want to see me when he had ignored me for eighteen years. He also kept asking about Charlie which pissed me off even more. Signing those papers had awoken something in him but I would not give into his demands just to make him feel better. His guilt could kill him for all I cared.

I shoved my phone back into my pocket ignoring the nth message he was sending me and picked a tub of cookies and cream tossing it in the basket.

"You know if you damage that you'll still have to pay for it."The unmistakable voice of my boyfriend commented behind me.

I smiled before turning around to face him all negative thoughts caused by my father leaving my mind.

"Good then I can just start on it right here."I retorted.

Henry smiled back and pulled me into his arms for a hug and quick kiss.

"Shouldn't you be in class right now?"I asked looking at my wrist watch for the time.

"Yeah but it was a half day because of the football game that's happening later."He replied.

"Oh, okay. What are you doing here anyway?"I asked as I walked down the aisle with Henry following behind me.

"I tracked you down and thought you could use some company."He replied.

"If you weren't so cute, your stalker tendencies would earn you a terrible reputation as the creepy nerd who likes to stalk girls as they go around with their shopping. I'd also probably have to report you after kicking your ass of course."I replied.