Chapter Twenty Five

HENRY'S POV

Oh the joy of Christmas, nothing better than being woken up at the crack of dawn to celebrate the birthday of a guy born thousands of years ago by my mother's yelling. I couldn't say that statement with any less sarcasm. My mom took every holiday seriously but with Christmas she upped the ante and made all our lives miserable. The only good thing about that was that the celebrations were not at home but at the Town Hall. My dad hosted a charity for the less fortunate on Christmas and hosted them a party where all orphaned kids got presents, new clothes and food. My dad might have been a terrible father and husband but he was a good mayor and did his job accordingly.

Matthew and I had been running errands since the crack of dawn and I was at the edge of my rope. I was grateful for the fact that I didn't have to attend the party. I had nothing against helping the less able but I had wrapped all the gifts, helped to decorate the hall, laid out most of the food and had been my mother's errand boy all day. I needed time to myself. Matthew was also getting on my nerves, more than ever.

He had apologized to Willow time and again and she had forgiven him but I knew he was up to something. Matthew never apologized to anyone so he was definitely planning something and it was not good. I would protect Willow even if it meant making my own life hell. She had been caught up in my family drama and she didn't deserve it, she already had enough on her plate.

"You boys can finish up here then you're free to leave."My dad said looking at the gifts we were stacking approvingly.

The tree was magnificent and even if Matthew and I argued the whole time we decorated it, I had to agree we had done a good job.

"Thanks dad."Matthew mumbled while I just gave him a nod.

Matthew and I looked exactly like our dad except for our eyes that we got from our mom. Matthew and my dad were very close because they bonded over football but he and I had nothing in common. My dad was the one supposed to do all the manly things with me in life, like teach me how to ride a bike, take me fishing, show me the ropes of how to become a respectable gentleman but once he saw that I had no interest in sports like Matthew he never bothered connecting with me. My dad was the leader of our whole town but his own home was in disarray. It showed just how flawed our world was.

"Merry Christmas boys."My dad cheered before patting our backs and walking away.

Matthew looked like he was waiting for my dad to leave so he could continue taunting me.

"How does it feel to be on the same level as the kids who will get all these gifts? I mean the only difference between you and them is that mom and dad actually care about them."Matthew mocked with an evil grin.

I fisted my hand to reign in my anger because I was not going to give him the satisfaction of seeing me all riled up. He wanted to pick a fight with me to paint him in a good light but I would not play his game.

"Maybe you should take one of these gifts home. You'll probably feel more loved then."Matthew jabbed.

I put the last gift on top of the pile, gave one long disappointed look before I walked away.

Matthew had been making fun of me our whole lives so I was used to it. I also knew how to tune him out so that his words didn't affect me.

My phone rang just as I got into my car and I smiled when I saw that it was Willow calling me. I picked up immediately knowing that just hearing her voice would put me in a great mood.

"Merry Christmas Henry."She cheered making me laugh.

Her joy was infectious because anytime I was around her I was happy and content.