Chapter 48

Ryujin is still asleep when her phone vibrates under her pillow, waking her up.

She groans and fumbles for the phone, checking the incoming email. It's from Yuna

"Unnie, I don't want to alarm you but we can't find Yeji unnie since she left Jisu unnie's New Year's party last night. Did she reach out to you? Can you tell us where to find her?"

Ryujin instantly bolts up, sitting upright, and dials Yuna's number.

"Hello?"

"Yuna-yah, it's me."

"Ryujin unnie?"

"Yes. What's wrong? Where did she go?"

"We don't know. Chaeryeong unnie saw her leave the party shortly after the countdown but she didn't answer our calls or reply to our messages. We went to her apartment but she wasn't there."

"Have you alerted Samchon? He bound himself to her. He should be able to know if she's in trouble."

"She didn't reach out to him. What about you? Did she reach out to you?"

"I... I saw her at that park we used to go to, the one near her apartment. But that was yesterday afternoon, my time."

"That should be around midnight our time. Maybe we should check that place again."

"Okay. Please keep me updated."

"I will."

Ryujin hangs up and runs her fingers through her hair. She turns on the lights and paces the room, worried about Yeji.

Yeddeong-ah, where are you? Where did you go? What happened? Are you okay?

She considers booking a seat on the first available flight to Seoul but it would take too long. This is a situation that she didn't expect. She never thought that Yeji would react this way and she can't help but feel like it's her fault.

Something must've happened. Please be okay.

Ryujin can't think of any other solution so she does the first best thing that comes to her mind next. She dials Yeji's number.

Please pick up, please pick up, please pick up...

But Yeji doesn't answer her call.

Ryujin suspects it's because her number is an unknown number so she sends her a text message.

"Yeddeong-ah, it's me, Ryujin. I'm going to call you, okay? Please pick up the phone. I'm worried."

She gets no reply but since her message is delivered and read, she decides to call again.

To Ryujin's relief, her call is answered just after the second ring.

"Hello?"

At the sound of Yeji's voice, goosebumps start to spread on Ryujin's arms and her eyes tear up on their own. She sits down on her bed, one hand over her heart that's about to burst with longing and relief. "Yeddeong-ah," she replies in a soft tone. "It's me."

"..."

"Yeddeong? Are you okay?" asks Ryujin anxiously when there's no reply.

"I..."

Ryujin can hear sniffing and feels even worse. "What's wrong? What happened? Everyone's worried. They've been looking for you since last night. Where are you?"

She can hear Yeji exhale.

"I miss you," Yeji finally says in a trembling voice.

"I miss you too. Where are you? I'll tell Yuna to pick you up and take you home."