Chapter 67

Yeji looks at the photo on the phone screen and shakes her head. "My first birthday as a mother and I still look like a cow."

"You'll get your old figure back in no time," Ryujin says, setting the small cake aside. "Happy birthday, Mommy. We got you something." She takes out a neatly wrapped gift. "Hope you like it. I wanted to get you something sparkly but let's wait until I've paid off the hospital bill," she jokes.

"You're so funny," Yeji says sarcastically.

"I know. Open it."

They're celebrating Yeji's birthday in the hospital room just two days after the twins are born. The doctor said they could go home tomorrow and the plan was to celebrate Yeji's birthday then, with her father and friends, but Ryujin wanted to celebrate privately, alone with her wife and their sleeping babies. So she sneaked in a cake and whispered the quietest happy birthday song in the world – or so she claimed.

Yeji slowly rips open the wrapping paper and smiles when she sees the framed picture of two tiny footprints – one in blue and one in pink – made into butterflies.

On top is the writing "Happy Birthday, Mommy" and below the two butterflies is a short message: "We know you've been waiting for us for a long time. Thank you for bringing us into the world. We love you very much. Aaron & Angeline. 2062".

Yeji smiles and quickly wipes her teary eyes. "You're so cheesy."

"I'm not the cheesy one. They are," Ryujin says as she scoots closer and wraps her arms around her wife. "Happy birthday, my butterfly. I love you."

Yeji places the frame on the bed and turns towards Ryujin to give her a kiss and a hug. "Thank you. I love you too but I think I have competition now."

"Huh?"

"I'm no longer your only butterfly. You have two new tiny ones now."

"That is true but you are the one I love most."

"Is that so? I heard that spouses usually love their children more than they do the mother of their children."

"I can understand why but trust me, you will always come first." Ryujin places another peck on Yeji's lips. "You're forever my number one girl."

"Promise?"

"I promise."

"Good because you're always going to be my number one girl too."

"Thank you."

-------

Ryujin sips her coffee and sighs. "Oh coffee, how I've missed you." She takes another long sip and lets out a louder contented sigh as the warm liquid flows down her throat.

"Do you have a mistress?"

Ryujin turns around to see Jisu standing at her kitchen doorway.

"What?"

"The sounds you were making are pretty suspicious," says Jisu as she places two bottles of breast milk in the fridge and goes to the sink to clean the breast pump.

"I haven't had coffee in 8 months," Ryujin replies. "You should hear me in the shower with my body wash. No more unscented soap. I smell so good now."

Jisu chuckles. "Well, as soon as you're done with your coffeegasms, there's a pile of dirty cloth diapers that needs washing. Get to it."

Ryujin takes one more sip and places her mug on the counter. "Yes, Ma'am. Are they sleeping?"

"Yeah."