Epilogue

Sara

👑🥃👑

Antonio's hand around me tightens, and I know he's waking up. I stay still, but he grumbles something I think is meant to be 'good morning' and shuffles us a little so I'm more than halfway laying on top of him.

I'm glad he had a full night's sleep. I'm not sure how many hours I slept, but it wasn't enough. I'm nervous.

Today is a big day. An important one. One that'll change the rest of our lives.

"Buon giorno." His morning voice vibrates against my naked body.

Last night he knew I was nervous about today, so he took his time with me. He cooked me my favorite meal, then gave my feet a massage that led to us making love.

"Mmm." I mumble, climbing further on top of him, trying to transfer his calmness onto me.

"What time is it?" He asks me, but I feel him shifting, probably to grab his phone. "It's only seven, baby."

Today is Monday, which means he didn't go to bed too late the night before as the club was closed. But he still likes his beauty sleep.

I mumble something again, afraid my voice will give away how nervous I am.

"Sara," his palms soothe across my back. "Are you okay, amore?"

I'm an idiot for trying to fool him. He knows me better than anyone. Better than I know myself sometimes.

I decide not to lie and tell him the truth. "I'm nervous." I've gotten better at expressing my feelings and saying when something's on my mind or if something's bothering me. My few sessions per month with my therapist are really helpful and most of the time, I look forward to them.

"There's nothing to be nervous about." He tells me, his hand going to my scalp, knowing that soothes me.

"You don't know that." I retort, weakly.

"You're right, but I'm confident in us."

"Me, too. But . . ."

"But nothing." He says adamant. "How about we take a warm shower and then I make you pancakes?" He asks.

"Yes." I exclaim like a little kid. He chuckles and I unwrap myself from him.

👑

While I blow dry my hair, Anton prepares the pancakes he promised me. A year after we got married in Vegas and I still can't believe I married the best man in the world.

To this day, he kept his promises; loving and cherishing me every day. And vice versa.

I put on a quick summer dress for now and exit our bathroom.

In the bedroom, I can't help but stare at our picture for a second. It was taken almost a year ago during the wedding ceremony we held for friends and family. He has one arm around me, while with the other he's holding the knife with me to cut the small cake.

That day was perfect. We held it in his uncle's garden. It was very intimate and just all around perfect.

Last summer, in May, the entire family took a vacation to Italy for two weeks, and we thought this would be the perfect moment to renew our vows. Even though we were not even married a full year.

But it was spontaneous, and the moment felt right.

I descend the two steps from our bedroom to the open living room and kitchen. A big chunk of the wall next to the bedroom is filled with pictures. Some are selfies of just Anton and me, some are with Izzy, some with his cousins . . . My eyes linger on the one with me and a very pregnant Carina. I hung it just a few days ago. She's due to deliver any day now.