Chapter 52. S

Sara

👑👑👑

"And he would just run naked around the house, dripping wet," Anton's father is retelling us stories of when my husband was little. "Sofia—" Anton's deceased mother, "—would follow him around the house with a towel, but he would think she was playing with him so he'd just laugh and run faster."

"I was pretty fast for a three year old." Anton says, the skin around his eyes wrinkling with his grin.

I can't help but laugh. They've been telling me all kinds of stories about my husband. Embarrassing ones are the most popular theme, though.

"We thought he'd become a sprinter or something." His father says.

The three of us are standing near the dessert table. We finished eating a while back.

"Can you imagine me as a sprinter?" Anton turns to me and asks.

I pretend to contemplate his question, eyeing him up and down. "No, not really."

"Sofie wanted to sign him up for running, but he wouldn't accept." Even though I've never met his mom, the stories I've heard about her tonight only make me wish I had. That she was still alive.

"She would've loved you," he says in a lower tone, as if reading my mind.

"She would." Anton emphasizes, nodding.

"I would've loved to meet her. She sounds like an amazing person."

"She was." Her husband says, taking a sip of his drink, eyes cast down. "This one," he points to Nicole across from us, "got her rebelliousness from her. She always used to break the rules, never listened to anyone. Didn't care about their opinions."

Sounds like an iconic woman.

"She was the only one who didn't care when I bought a motorcycle." Anton says with a chuckle.

We continue talking about his mother and stories of him and all about his mischief when he was little. After a few minutes, Anton's name gets called, and he excuses himself to go talk to Luca. His father goes to refill his glass soon after.

As I'm examining the different desserts, all classic Italian, an arm wraps around my neck and Izzy's flowery scent invades my senses.

"Guess who got hitched in Vegas?" She asks. I turn around to see her talking to her phone.

"Who are you talking to?" I squint my eyes at the screen, the sun too bright, and see that the camera is open, and it's recording. "You're filming?"

"Yes!" She says excitedly. "I'm making a YouTube channel." She explains to me how her publicist thinks it's supposed to help her promote her online store and upcoming clothing store. "I'm currently filming what they call 'day in the life'." She finishes off.

"Cool." She hits record again. "So you're a YouTuber now?" I tease.

"I guess." She faces the camera. "Tell them how you got married."

I look at the camera, and not my face as I begin explaining. "So my boyfriend at the time, surprised me with a trip to Las Vegas. It was for my twenty-fourth birthday. The first night there, we were walking back from a casino and I noticed a chapel. And I just proposed." I shrug.

"My best friend is awesome." She tells me, looking at me instead of her phone. I squeeze her waist and plant a kiss on her cheek.

"Girls!" Carina walks to us, Nicole next to her. Izzy stops recording and we both turn to them. "So, I have a really important question to ask you all." She looks at each one of us. "Would you be my bridesmaids?"