• 12 ~ Like A Wax Candle •

Credit: https://twitter.com/AlvaRichie1/status/1347939124133601281?s=20

• • • • •

A/n: From this chapter and beyond, the story will contain an element of angst.

So readers who get easily disturbed by graphic scenes or are just sensitive in general, this is where the story will take a darker turn.

Please proceed with caution.

• • • ᯽᯽᯽ • • •

[General POV]

Y/n woke up at dawn. Due to the cold air, they could barely get any sleep, but it was also because they had the nerve-wrecking feeling of finally having to play their part as a satellite.

They sat up inside the tent, to find the harbinger already awake. He sat near the opening of the tent, gazing outside at the snowy landscape. The few remaining rays of moonlight shone on his face.

It felt like he was in his natural state, just silently gazing at whatever lay ahead. But Y/n knew the morning would take over soon.

"Are you nervous?" He asked abruptly, ruining the silent moment.

"Huh?" Y/n blinked, trying to break from their trance. "Why'd you ask?"

"I don't know. It's probably the way you've been staring quietly this whole time." He turned his head to look at them.

Y/n was rendered speechless. "But? So have you?"

Scaramouche narrowed his eyes. "We're different. For you, it's an odd occurence." He adjusted his fingers inside his glove, but that was an excuse to look away from Y/n who was getting uncomfortable with his stare.

"So tell me. Are you? Nervous, I mean?"

Y/n became silent. They didn't have an answer. On one hand, they wanted to trust Scaramouche for keeping his promise. On the other, Scaramouche didn't seem like the type to keep his promises.

And there was also a possibility that Y/n themself would mess up. What then? Would everything go wrong? They knew they shouldn't be worrying before they even gave it a shot, but they couldn't help it.

"What about you?" They said. "You must be feeling like you've got everything under control." Scaramouche chuckled, but gave no answer to their question.

"You wouldn't even listen if I told you to stop now, would you?"

"Nope."

"What is it that you're planning to do, anyway?"

Scaramouche grew silent for a minute, then looked up. "Y/n, when you look at the sky, what do you see?"

"Um..." Y/n tilted their head. They couldn't tell if Scaramouche was changing the subject or not. "I see the sky."

Scaramouche looked at them, unimpressed. "I expected your answer to be a bit more magical."