• 42 ~ I'll Pay The Price •

Credit: https://danbooru.donmai.us/posts/5763963

• • • ᯽᯽᯽ • • •

[Y/n POV]

"Where will you go now?"

Scaramouche had repeated his question, but Y/n's expression of incertitude remained the same.

"Why... are you asking me that? Aren't I supposed to go with you?"

Scaramouche seemed unfazed. "Logically, that would be the smartest thing to do."

Y/n knew what he was getting at. If they were to, say, leave for a destination different from their fate as a satellite, the Fatui could always find them again.

"Then... can I not go with you?"

Scaramouche frowned a little. "That's what I'm asking you.

"You could consider this your last chance to flee, if you wish to. If you want to go somewhere else or stay here in Inazuma, I won't stop you. But if you're following me back to Zapolyarny Palace to serve the Fatui, I don't want you trying to escape again."

Y/n clenched their fist. They knew he had a point.

They weren't going to lie. There was a strong urge within them that just wanted to leave for somewhere far away, then bang their head over a rock until they ended up forgetting all their memories again.

That was something they couldn't tell Scaramouche, though. They averted their gaze and answered. "You can't possibly expect me to make a decision right now. With everything that happened today."

They could feel Scaramouche's persistent stare on them, and grew nervous until he sighed. Scaramouche sighing was usually a sign of him giving in, as they'd gathered.

"Alright. You're boarding the ship with us. We'll be reaching Snezhnaya by sea." Scaramouche spoke. "However, we'll stop at Liyue for a break. Make your decision by then."

Y/n solemnly nodded. "That's fine..."

• • • ᯽᯽᯽ • • •

When Scaramouche announced to Y/n that they were leaving, Y/n was expecting them to take at least two to three days to get ready. Not that they would be boarding a ship within the next few hours.

They didn't complain, though. They didn't believe they were in a position to.

Still, their mind wondered about what would be made of the Resistance after they'd leave. It was not as pressing as the emotional shock they'd suffered on losing Aless.

As the ship continued being loaded, Y/n sat atop the deck on a random stool near some other big crates. They didn't feel like wanting to be noticed or seen by the other Fatui at work.

"Take this." They heard Scaramouche, and felt a blanket being thrust towards them. Y/n quietly took the blanket, their eyes staring at it as if they were in a daze.

Scaramouche sighed, and took one of Y/n's hands in his. "A room has been prepared for you. Here's the keys." He turned their hand so that their palm faced upwards and placed the keys in it.