A volleyball star in the making

Maya's POV

"Are you still okay to take over as captain for the last few hours of the shift ?" I ask Andy as we walked into the station that morning. "Of course" she said, honestly I think she likes being captain. "Thank you, Gabriella is really looking forward to this game, you should have seen the disappointment ok her face when I told her I was on shift, but I promised her I'll try to get there, she's worked so hard bless her and now she has been asked to play for Washington state university, it's literally so amazing and I'm so proud of her" I tell her. "She's so like you with her sport, you both see what you want and you go for it and I'm proud of both of you for that, and please tell her if I wasn't on shift I would have been there watching from the side lines" she tells me. "Thank you and of course I'll tell her, I'm just hoping that I can leave I time to see her play, she'll be so mad at me if I can't get there, but at least carina will be there and I think Andrew is going" I tell her. "Well I'll do my very best to get you there on time" she tells me as we talk into the changing rooms to get ready for the day.

"Listen up 19" I say as I walk into the beanery where everyone is eating. "Today Gabriella has her finals in the volleyball and I promised that I'll try to make it, so if we don't get any calls when I need to leave then Herrera will be taking over as captain for the few hours that I will be gone" I told them as I sit down to eat but the alarms start to go off. "FIRE AT 695 STREET LANE, AID CAR AND LADDER 19" it said. "Why do I think this is going to be a busy day" I said to everyone as we ran to the trucks. "Because I think the same" Travis said to me as we hopped into the trucks and arrived at the location.

"I'm sorry Maya but I don't think your going to make it" Travis said as we jumped out the truck. "I don't think I am either" I said I looked up to the 12 story apartment block which was roaring with flames. "Alright guys, you know what to do, Herrera and Montgomery triage, everyone else search and rescue, I'll going to call in additional units" I say to them as they go running inside. "Dispatch this is captain Maya Bishop I'm requesting 4 additional units and as many ambos as you can spare to my location" I say to dispatch. "Copy that, dispatching addition units your way" they reply. "19 how is it looking in there ? I ask them. "There is still loads of tenants in here we are getting them out now and bringing them to you" jack replied as some people started to come out of the building, none of them injured but they did have a lot of smoke inhalation so me and Andy and Travis all went straight to them to help them out quicker.

"M- My daughter, she trapped !!!! I can't get to her, there was- was an explosion and and the cabinet fell and and I could not get to her, please please help her" I woman said to me while in shock and shaking. "Don't worry mam we will find your daughter, where is she and what's her name ?" I asked. "It's Annabelle and 5th floor, apartment 25b" she says to me still in a panic. "19 is there anyone free to search for a trapped girl on floor 5" I asked them over the radio, everyone replied but they were all busy saving other people and could not get to her for another few minutes so I decided that I would head in. "Okay 19 I'm heading in" I tell them as I run into the burning building to go find the girl.

"Annabelle if you can hear me call out" I shout as I make it to the 5th floor, no one else was on the floor so I went straight to search for the girl, eventually, through all the smoke I managed to find apartment 25b. "Annabelle don't worry, I'm coming" I shout as I make my way through the flames. "Here I'm here" I heard a quiet voice say so I followed it. "I've got you Annabelle don't worry" I say as I start to lift the cabinet off her. "She did this, she did this" she started to repeat over and over again. "Annabelle who did what sweetie" I ask her. "My mum, she started this fire, and when I asked her she started to get angry with me and pushed this cabinet on top of me so I could not move and then she ran out" she told me as I managed to lift the cabinet off her to reveal her broken legs and burnt arms, the burns spread up across her neck and onto her face. "It's okay Annabelle I've got you" I say to her a little but in shock after what she just told me, but I take off my mask, place it on her, pick her up and make my way out the building.