Episode 21

Saiki's pov

Yare yare, the robot arc has finally wrapped up. Inner...peace.

I sighed in relief. It's been an unnaturally perfect morning. Free of my crazy father, crazy cats, crazy friends and crazy exchange students.

Yosh!

"Suta suta suta suta~" I speed-walked along the road, casually lifting my left arm to move a reckless truck out of the way of a pedestrian.

"Scree~!"

"Whoa!"

Both the driver and the pedestrian gawked at their situation as I casually went on my way. "Suta suta suta~"

Yare yare, such a perfectly normal day!

I sighed. I hope I'll catch a break after this...perhaps even rewatch my recording of "Midnight Sweets". The thought of my favourite programme almost brought a smile to my face.

"Kusuo, it's been a while! I'm right behind you, turn around!"

The voice of Akechi Touma broke through the silent morning.

Ah, if only...

I shifted my eyes diagonally. Yare yare, did I speak too soon?

"Ohh! His head moved! Yes, he acknowledged my presence!" He exclaimed mentally.

I do, but I choose to ignore it. Don't ruin my average day.

"Good morning Kusuo! Did you sleep well? Did you think you'll never meet me here? Well, too bad! I really wanted to speak to you! Are you free now?"

Ignoring my indifference, the annoying blonde sped up to greet my eyes with an intensely curious face.

This is Akechi, my stalker and detective of a childhood friend. He has a habit to ramble, and because his speech and train of thought are two different voices at the same time, I get a headache trying to listen.

"Goodbye, Akechi. I did not sleep well, I was not thinking about you. I do not want to speak to you, and I am not free right now," I replied to his unnecessarily long greeting.

It's too early for this. Leave me be.

"But Kusuo! This is very important! What if we reach school while I am talking and I never get a chance to tell you? What if someone else tells you before I can? No, there's something you absolutely have to know! Listen!"

If it's so important, why did you waste ten seconds of my time on something useless? I rolled my eyes.

"Or maybe it'll be better if you realized it yourself? You are smart, right, Kusuo? Guess what I'm thinking right now. Then again, that's what telepathy does, don't you agree?"

"Get to the point quickly, or I'll tune you out."

Akechi apologized meekly. "Whoops, I'm so sorry! I rambled again, didn't I? I just have too many things on my mind."

Does he sound apologetic at all? No.

His know-it-all tone makes it difficult to take his words seriously.

Was the apology worth eighteen words of this chapter? No.

"By the way, do you perhaps have the ability to generate clones, Kusuo? It's related to what I'm about to tell you." Akechi suddenly asked, his face turning serious.

Do I have the...what?

I whipped my head around in alarm. Was I spotted? His eyes lit up at my reaction as we stepped into school grounds.