Episode 22

Asano's pov

"Suki dayo, Asano-kun! (I love you, Asano-kun)" 

  I beckoned the bowing figure before me with a sympathetic gaze. Her name was Shiranai Namae*, and she was the last of the many confessions I had received in this week alone. I waited for her to finish talking, then addressed her solemnly. 

  "Shiranai-san." 

  "H-hai!" Her head rose expectantly, dreading the verdict. 

I bowed my head down 45 degrees, and did my best to sound apologetic. 

"I'm sorry, but I cannot accept your feelings," I enunciated clearly. "I wish to focus on my studies, and my many responsibilities.

She gasped, and I heard a barely perceivable sob. 

"...I see. Sorry for taking up your time." With that, Shiranai began running to her class, her crying muffled but audible. I took a deep breath and deftly swung my elbow beyond a pillar nearby.

"D'ow!" Feigning a pained expression, Akabane emerged from behind the pillar with a pout on his face.

"Greeting people with an elbow is very rude, Asano-kun~all I did was to pass by... " He fake sulked, lying through his teeth.

I scoffed and turned around. 

"As if you weren't listening the whole time. I just smelled the stench of trash and decided to move it away, that's all," I replied matter-of-factly, internally smirking at the redhead's crestfallen expression.

Occasional jabbing at him actually gives me a sense of pride. However, it is childish to participate in pointless bickering, so I usually don't respond to his trash-talk.

"You mean you smelled your own breath?" he retorted. See, this is exactly what I talked about. Juvenile.

While I ignored him, he let out a dramatic gasp.

"You mean you've been preaching with that garbage mouth and nobody ever told you?! Arara gomen~ That was unbecomingly harsh of me~! The truth hurts."

I laughed good-naturedly at that remark.

"Did you get that one inspired from Demon Slayer? How unoriginal," I quipped.

He was silent.

Ha, amateur.

For the first time this month, I have rendered the menace known as Karma Akabane speechless. Quite the feat, I say. I'm totally not snickering under my breath. Nope. I'm not that happy.

"I'm not hearing any denial about your potty mouth though~?" Pretending that never happened, my archenemy smoothly bended my words. I let out a dry laugh.

"Because it's very obviously untrue. I use mouthwash and brush my teeth twice a day. You should use some, too! Perhaps they'd cleanse all that vulgarity that falls out of your mouth," I snapped.

"Vulgarity falls outta my mouth the same way retardation comes outta yours!" He growled.

I quirked my brow in irritation. "Haah?!"

Seeing that he has the upper hand, Akabane smirked. Tch...this is why I don't bicker.

"But never mind your morning breath...what was that just now? It's the, what, seventh confession you received this week?" He whispered, his tone calmer.

"Twenty-one," I lightly corrected.

"Oi, you rejected them all?! Gosh, do I feel sorry for them," he commented with an uncharacteristic frown.