Chapter 35

Someone was knocking on my door, and that someone was about to get thrown off the mountain.

I groan loudly as another round of knocks beat on our door, my brain is barely functioning as I roll over, Azriel either feigning sleep or still oblivious to the person at our door.

I dramatically throw his arm off from around my waist before rolling off the bed, making sure that if he was asleep, he isn't now. I hear him groan behind me, and I smirk before grabbing a black silk robe from the end of the bed, wrapping it tightly around my bare skin before walking to the door.

I open the door mid-knock, startling the person behind it and causing them to jump back. "Can I help you?" I ask, raising a brow towards the startled women. Roma sighs, running a hand through her hair before straightening herself out.

"Sorry to wake you up so early... but I figured I should tell you sooner rather than later." The words rush out of her mouth, and I stay quiet, waiting for her to continue. "Titus is here-sent by your father. He's come to talk about the war and wants to speak with Rhysand and... well you."

I groan, rubbing my face as I lean against the doorframe. "And he couldn't have just sent a letter? He knows that you two are here with me." I ask, and she winces, pursing her lips.

"Your father made him come. I guess it was either him or the King himself." I groan loudly, removing myself from the doorframe.

"Let me get dressed. I'll meet you and Idris in the dining hall in 30 minutes." I ignore the slight bow of her head as I close the door, turning around to look at my now wide-awake mate.

Azriel sends me a sympathetic look, his arm laid out behind him on the bed as he sits up. I let out another groan before trudging towards him, collapsing into his lap. His chest shakes with silent laughter, and I lift my head long enough to send him a humorless glare before falling back down.

I feel him shift underneath me, and I sink further onto the bed when I feel his hand begin to massage the back of my head. "Do you want me to go with you?" He asks softly, and I let out a resigned sigh, flipping over in his lap so I can look at him.

He looks so blissfully calm, and I stare at him for a moment, simply enjoying the view before shaking my head, propping myself up on one arm. "You have your own plans today, right? With the High Lords? And teaching Feyre?" I remind him, and he raises a brow, lifting a hand to move a piece of hair out of me face.

"The offer still stands." He says mildly, and I smile, leaning forward. I place a feather soft kiss on his lips before pulling away. I let out one final sigh before getting up from the bed and moving towards my closet, letting my robe fall to the floor.

I can feel Azriel's eyes on me as I browse through the contents of my closet, grabbing a dark midnight blue blouse that hangs off my shoulders and pairing it with a pair of black, skintight pants. I slide the clothes on quickly, hoping to get this meeting over with as soon as possible.

I rake my fingers through my tangled hair, pulling it up into a high ponytail behind my head. I give Azriel a gentle kiss before I leave, my fingers playing with the shadows dancing around his fingertips. "Are you going to be back tonight?" I ask quietly, and he winces, shaking his head.

"I'll see you in the morning." He says quietly, and I purse my lips, the thought of spending even a night without him making my stomach twist into a knot. He notices the look, his fingers tracing the side of my face. "It'll be ok love. I'll be fine."

All I can do is nod my head before taking a step back, a million different possibilities running through my mind at once. He's spied on the Courts a million times, and I know he is more than capable of taking care of himself, but the thought of him being halfway across Pythian alone..."I love you." I say as I walk towards the door, and he repeats the words quietly before I step into the hallway, the words sinking in my chest as I close the door behind me.