Chapter 2

The snow crunched under our feet as we walked the familiar path towards the market. The smells of spices and food that was much too expensive for us to even think of buying. Nesta and Elaine were clicking their tongues as they walked down the path, jumping over puddles and mud in order to keep from getting their dresses dirty. 

They took one look at the pelts me and Feyre shoved into our bags, and instantly grabbed their cloaks, it's like they can feel the money in their hands already. None of us spoke a word this morning, but it was a small mercy to find that Nesta had chopped the wood this morning, against her own prejudices. 

We turned a corner, and nearly stumbled into a young woman dressed in a familiar pale robe. We all stopped, and I can feel the tension rise in the air as both Nesta and Elain bristled. "May the Immortal Light shine upon thee, sisters," her voice was light, and I grimaced as Nesta and Elain clicked their tongues. 

I felt Feyre's annoyance as she shifted her feet, probably thinking about just going around her in order to avoid any further confrontation. Having the Children of the Blessed in town meant less money for us, since everyone will be distracted and riled up with them walking around. 

Hundred of years ago, the High Fae were our overlords, and they were certainly not kind to us either. But the Children of the Blessed refused to believe this, and thought of the Fae as gods who would take them to the promised land. They worshiped the High Fae, and would even cross the wall to Prythian to live in 'peace'. But they most likely got ripped to shreds. 

The women made a gesture of greeting with her hands, the silver bracelets on her arm clinking at the movement. "Have you a moment to spare so that you might hear the Word of the Blessed?" 

"No. We don't." Nesta sneers, pushing Elain into a walk. I looked past us to see five other crazy fanatics standing close by, their eyes looking for some more young folk to pester. 

"It would take but a minute," the woman insists, cutting into Nesta and Elain's path. I watched as Nesta straightened, her head held high as she looks down her nose at the acolyte, "Go spew your fanatic nonsense to some ninny. You'll find no converts here." 

Nesta pulled up her sleeve, in order to show off the iron bracelet underneath. The women let out a gasp, her eyes as wide as saucers as she peers at the bracelet. "You see this? This is what you should be wearing. Not some silver bells to attract those faerie monsters." 

"How dare you wear that vile affront to our immortal friends-"

"Go preach in another town." Nesta spits.

Down the road, two plump wives walked down the path, and when they saw the acolytes, their faces twisted into one of disgust. "Faerie-loving whore" one of them hurled at the women, and I couldn't disagree with them.

"Don't you idiots understand what those monsters did to us for centuries? What they still do for sport, when they can get away with it? You deserve the end you'll meet at faerie hands. Fools and whores all of you." Nesta nodded her head in agreement as the two women continues walking past, but the women in front of us lingered, and even sweet Elaine frowned in distaste.

"I lived in such ignorance too, until I heard the Word of the Blessed. I grew up in  a village so similar to this- so bleak and grim. But not one month ago, a friend of my cousin went to the border as our offering to Prythian-and she has not been sent back. Now she dwells in riches and comfort as a High Fae's bride, and so might you, if you were to take a moment to-"

"She was likely eaten. That' why she hasn't returned." Nesta says simply, and the women blanches at the words.

"Our benevolent masters would never harm us. Prythian is a land of peace and plenty. Should they bless you with their attention, you would be glad to live amongst them." I rolled my eyes, and noticed the other villagers beginning to watch as well.