Chapter 49

Feyre wasn't the only one with cards up her sleeve it seemed, as Rhys revealed his own surprise, in the form of the Weaver. She stood next to the Carver with a straight back, her long limbs and the bright blue jewel crested in her hair making her easy to spot.

I couldn't look away as the three immortals unleashed their havoc on Hybern's forces, bodies falling around them as they effortlessly ripped through the lines. I watched as Rhys lifted a hand, his power shaking in the air around us as he pointed that hand towards Hybern's army.

His power shook the ground as it left him, and where he had pointed...gone.

A dusting of red mist hung in the air around where the men once stood, and Rhys let out a short gasp, sweat lining his forehead. Grasping onto his power, I let it fill every part of my body as I pulled and collected it, letting it build as I lifted my own hand.

I had never found the depths of the power inside me—had never once felt a bottom to the well.

Maybe today I would.

As I unleased the second, echoing blow to the army, throwing that same power back towards the sprawling armies. I aimed that power on either side of the gap Rhysand had made, and when I released that power...I felt it echo inside of me.

The power felt like it was tearing parts of me with it as it left, but I didn't care as the whole Rhysand had made became infinitely larger. I let out a shaky breath as that power collided with Hybern's army, leaving nothing but mist in its wake.

Feyre gave me a wide-eyed look as I let my arm fall back down to my side, and I gave her a small smile. My body was shaking, and I didn't know if it was from exhilaration or from using that much power at once.

But I felt alive.

Azriel let loose his own attacks, his siphons flaring as blue lights slammed into the exposed flanks of the soldiers, making the gap between them larger.

The Illyrians moved, launching themselves from the skies and down towards the battle below. But as they moved down, a force hidden amongst Hybern's ranks moved up. Creatures that looked more monster than human took off into the skies, their thin, leathered wings and dark claws aimed towards the legion in the skies.

The Illyrians wasted no time before locking in their shimmering shields and raining down a cascade of arrows with deadly accuracy towards the force. But the creatures, whatever they were, had come prepared.

Their own answering arrows tore through the Illyrian shields like a knife through butter, slamming into wings and shoulders. Illyrians began to fall from the sky from the attack, and I watched as the siphon shields were replaced with metal ones.

On land, it was growing more and more chaotic as our soldiers below began to charge, and Hybern released his own beasts.

My eyes were trained where Idris and Titus were fighting—where the Asrai were utilizing any power they could grab onto and pushing it against the opposing force. The power singing in my blood yearned to be let out, and I obliged it as I pointed towards the left part of the army—right in front of Idris.

I let that power course through me, unleashing it as it propelled itself through the air and decimated the lines of soldiers in front of Idris. I could see her pause—see her head move as she looked towards where I stood, where my hand was still shaking in the air from that blast of power.

When she looked back, she didn't hesitate before plowing into the hold I had made, the exposure I had given her and our soldiers. "Don't use too much." Azriel murmured beside me as I let my hand fall, taking in a shaky breath.