Chapter 41

Dahlia's POV

I felt empowered.

As Rhysand's power rushed through my blood, I let it loose, the magic breaking through the shields surrounding the room before hitting my target.

I couldn't help but feel smug as I saw Tamlin opening and closing his mouth in an effort to produce any kind of sound. The rest of the table was silent, and I could feel all stare at Rhysand, assuming that he had been the one to perform the trick.

I let him have his moment, because if the High Lords knew that it was me it would only make their distrust with me grow. "If you want proof that we are not scheming with Hybern, consider the fact that it would be far less time-consuming to slice into your minds and make you do my bidding." Beron scoffs, rolling his eyes.

"Yet here I am." Rhys continues, ignoring Beron completely as he looks around the room. "Here we all are."

Tarquin cleared his throat, and my eyes slide to him. He had been so silent during the meeting thus far, watching as everyone else fought and argued without cutting in himself. He has his own reasons for distrusting Rhys and Feyre, but when I look at him, I don't see any hate or disdain in his eyes. "Despite Varian's unsanctioned warning..." The High Lord turns to look at his cousin, "You were the only ones who came to help. The only ones. And yet you asked for nothing in return. Why?"

Rhys pauses, and I can his whole demeanor shift as he looks at the man. "Isn't that what friends do?" There was an underlying offer there, and Tarquin took his time to look at him, and then at Feyre.

He looks between Azriel and Cassian before nodding his head, looking back at Rhys. "I rescind the blood rubies. Let there be no debts between us."

"Don't expect Amren to return hers." Cassian muses, rubbing his chin. "She's grown attached to it." I couldn't help the smile that tugged at my lips at the words, knowing that she of all people would become attached to the jewel.

Rhysand gives Tarquin a grateful look before turning to look at Tamlin, my hold on his voice not wavering. "I believe you." Rhys says, not taking his eyes away. "That you will fight for Prythian."

Tamlin's eyes still blazed with fire, and none of the other High Lords looked remotely convinced—and neither did I.

Release his voice. Rhysand's voice echoed in my head, and I sigh, pursing my lips.

If he says something again, I'm going to smite him where he stands.

I can see the hidden smile on Rhys' face as I send the words back to him, relinquishing the hold I had held over Tamlin. His lips curl the second his voice is returned, and he lets out a low growl that Rhys ignores.

"War is upon us." Rhys says, his eyes flitting around the table. "I have no interest in wasting energy arguing amongst ourselves." He spoke calmly, but his voice was firm as he looked around the table.

His words, however, did little to convince those seated around him. "You may be inclined to believe him, Rhysand, but as someone who shares a border with his court, I am not so easily swayed." Beron remarks, raising a brow. "Perhaps my errant son can clarify. Pray, where is he?"

Tamlin perked up at the question, his eyes moving towards Rhys and Feyre. "Helping to guard our city." Feyre answers vaguely, not giving up the details of Lucien's mission.

Eris snorts, and my eyes snap towards him. His amber eyes flick towards me, and then to Nesta seated a few seats down. "Pity you didn't bring the other sister. I hear our little brother's mate is quite the beauty." The words sounded like a jab, and my hands tighten around the armrest of my chair.