Chapter 14

They strike at night-the first sound is our front door being thrown down to the ground. I'm jolted from my light sleep, and instantly go for the dagger hidden under my pillow. 

My room is pitch black-and I keep it that way was I rush to the other end of the room-grabbing another dagger I have hidden in my wardrobe. I can hear them downstairs-their heavy footsteps echoing amongst the halls. 

I move quickly-peeling open my door to peer into the hallway. A loud scream pierces the air, and my throat flies down into my stomach. 

That's when everything goes to hell.

I don't have time to wonder about the sentries or Gavin, and I consider them all to be dead as I race down the halls, ignoring the pleads for help that rise through the air. 

The servants. They're killing them all. I can't stop to grieve as I reach Elain's door, and throw it open to reveal Nesta and Elain cowering in a corner, a dagger held high in Nesta's shaking hand. "We need to leave-now." I hiss, rushing forward to grab ahold of Nesta's arm. 

"Who-who are they?" Elain asks, her voice shaking and weak. I don't have to look to know that she has tears streaming down her face, but I ignore them as I pull them both to their feet. 

"It doesn't matter-all that matters is that we-" My words are cut short by the sound of the door to the bedroom slamming against the wall, and I waste no time before whirling around, all the fear vanishing from my body as a deadly calm takes over. 

A band of three males that are unmistakably Fae stand in the doorway, their armor gleaming in the moonlight. "Come with us now, or it won't be pleasant." One of them warns, and I grit my teeth, the daggers in my hands feeling ice cold as my grip tightens around them. 

"Go to hell." I spit, before darting forward. Elain lets out a loud scream as I dart forward, my daggers raised high. 

I know I don't stand a chance against three of them, but if I can distract them long enough for Nesta to get Elain out... 

I move as quick as I can, but the Fae are still to quick. They easily move out of the way-one of them making a move to grab ahold of me. Thinking fast, I fling one of the daggers from my hand, and when the Fae moves their hand to stop the blade, he hisses in pain as it goes straight through his hand. 

Blood gushes from the wound instantly, piling on the ground as he whirl around to face. "Stupid bitch." He growls, and when he moves forward, I can see my death sentence clear in his eyes. 

But before he can reach me-I feel something hard land on the back of my head, and there's a blaring pain in my head as I fall to my knees.

My world goes in and out of focus, and the last thing I see before I succumb to unconsciousness is the sight of my sisters, their pale white faces blurry. I can feel their eyes on me as I fall to the floor, the same words floating around in my head. 

I failed them. I failed them. I failed them. 

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

I don't want to open my eyes. I don't want to face the graveness of the situation. I can feel the tight bonds around my hands-and the gag around my mouth is just as unpleasant. 

Someone's arms are around me, but they're not warm or comforting. I can hear muffled crying, and I can only assume who the cries belong to. I have no idea what the fae would want with us, but I have no intentions of making this easier for them as I slowly open my eyes.