Chapter 12

The weeks after Feyre's visit soon turned into a month, and the anxiety of waiting for the Queens answer was sometimes unbearable. The snow that was once dotting the ground has now grown into a large pile that comes up to my doorstep, and the fired Leyanne starts in the morning can barely keep out the chill.

After Feyre's return, it seems that she invoked whatever remorse was left in my sisters, and Elain slowly began to appear on my doorstep-first once a week, to nearly every day. Nesta has yet to visit, however I never expected any different from her. 

Elain spent most of her time relaxing on the couch with Leyanne, something I hardly ever see Leyanne do. Usually I play whatever song I had on my mind for her, and she loves hearing all of them. 

I had just spent the entire day playing to Elain when she hesitates on my doorway, the open door letting in the cold air from outside. Leyanne had already left an hour ago, but Elain delayed her departure because of the cold. 

"Uhm-Dahlia... There's someone here to see you.." Elain's voice is quiet and meek, losing her bouncy, light tone. I slowly stand from my place in front of the fire before moving towards the door, Elain moving to the side. 

Standing a few feet in front of us is the same Fae from last time-the incredibly handsome and silent one. He looks at me with soft, hazel eyes and I swallow the lump in my throat. 

The first time I saw him, his beauty was imprinted onto my mind probably for the rest of my life-and for the first time I wished I had Feyre's ability to draw, because I could spend a lifetime just drawing the sharp planes of his face. 

His black hair is a dark contrast to the snow surrounding him, pieces falling over his deep hazel eyes. He has to be at least a foot taller than me-and his skin is tanned into a deep brown. The bright blue gems that I noticed when we first met shine brightly in the light, and I watch as they sparkle in the sun. 

There doesn't seem to be anyone else with him, and I shift on my feet, giving Elain a small push out the door. "Azriel right? Come on in, it's too cold outside to stand here talking." Flustered and more than slightly confused, Elain jumps out of the way, landing in the snow pile next to her. 

Azriel looks uncomfortable, and he shakes his head. "I'm just here to let you know that we received the letter from the queens-Feyre wanted to make sure you were at the meeting." At  this, I send Elain an accusing glare, and she seems to shrink underneath it. 

Its not surprise why she didn't invite me-most likely Nesta told her not to, but its still stings that I was left out. Again. "I-Come inside, warm up before you head back-" I notice the small pinch on his face when I say the words, and I groan. "Just-stop scowling and come in. Elain was just leaving." I say the words slightly harsher than I meant to, and Elain flinches slightly before scurrying off, sparing me a guilty look over her shoulder. 

I know Elain means well, and lately I've grown to enjoy her visits more and more-but Nesta is proving to be the one thing that is always standing between us. Nesta and I have never been close-but after I left, it seems like she's tried to do everything in her power to make sure that I am erased from her life. 

After Elain leaves, Azriel sighs before following me inside. I try not to notice the large, membrane wings folded behind his back, but the sight of them seems to catch my eyes as I move to stoke the fire. 

He closes the door behind him, hesitating in the doorway. I roll my eyes before gesturing towards the couch. "I don't bite. But I could use a warm cup of tea, and I hope that just because you're Fae you won't be adverse to the suggestion either?" My response manages to earn me a small smile from him, and the sight brings one to my own lips as I heat up the water.