Chapter 24

Sleep wasn't an option when I got back to my cabin-between the rock of the ship and my overthinking, I soon find myself back on the deck of the ship-thankful to find it almost empty. 

I breathe the fresh air in deeply, letting it clear my senses and relishing the open air. The stars shine brightly above us, the moon illuminating the sky above. I move like a ghost on the deck, my eyes staring up into the sky as I walk to the side of the ship, where I watch the waves crash against the side of the ship. 

The quiet and peace is a relief, and my mind finally feels at ease-just focusing on the stars. 

But the peace doesn't last forever. I can hear the sound of footsteps walking towards me-too heavy to belong to Azriel. "You disappeared quiet quickly after the game-I couldn't even ask for a rematch." 

I turn around to watch Titus as he walks up next to me, his face turned towards the sea. "You really wanted to get beaten twice?" I ask, and he lets out a low chuckle, his voice low and smooth. 

"I let you win." He defends, and I roll my eyes, once again turning to face the waves. We sit in silence for a moment, and I give the man next to me a calculating look. 

His black hair is untied and loose on the back of his head, his pointed ears cresting over his hair as it blows in the wind. "I saw you and the Shadowsinger, you two seem... close." 

I wince at the inclination in his voice, and I swallow the growing lump in my throat. "You could call it that." I reply sharply, my jaw clenched tightly. I can see Titus give me a sideways look before looking forward again. 

"You remind me of my sister. She was just as stubborn as she was when it came to her mate." He smiles softly, and I turn to face him, trying not to let the shock show on my face. 

"How-we-"

"I am older than I look Dahlia Archeron. I've seen my fair share of mates." He answers smoothly, and I purse my lips. Sighing loudly, I turn back to the waves, letting the rocking of the waves to calm my rise in emotion. 

"What did she do? Your sister?" I ask, needing to have any kind of advice that might be able to tell me what to do-how to understand this mess. 

Titus's smile softens a little, his deep blue eyes looking faraway. "She ignored him first-but us males are persistent. She was the most stubborn women I have ever known though-and it took him 100 years of rejections before they finally confirmed the bond." 

I notice the use of the past tense, and my heart lowers into my stomach as I realize that somewhere along the way-she passed on from this world. The realization makes me pause, regret and sympathy roiling through me as I wince. "I'm sorry for your loss." I say softly, and his blue eyes look up to meet mine. 

I can see the pain there, hidden behind the walls he had put up. He turns away from the railing, putting a soft hand on my shoulder. "She had another year with him before Amarantha...Before she left. My advice? Don't wait 100 years." 

He leaves me with the words, and I watch him leave back below deck, crossing my arms over my chest. I stay outside for a second more before walking back to my cabin, the rocking of the ship no longer bothering me as I slip underneath the covers of the bed. 

Before sleep can take me, my last thought is of Hazel eyes filled with longing, and my own stare back at them. 

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

I spend the majority of the next day pacing the deck, looking for the small speck of land that would be appearing at any moment. Azriel hasn't been on deck all day, but I refused to think about him for a moment-refused to let myself wonder why he came, and what it meant.