Chapter 4

I stood there, and no matter how long I stared at that door, Feyre didn't come running back. I didn't notice when Elain stopped her crying, or when the dishes were removed from the table. The house is so quiet.

I flinch when I feel a hand on my shoulder, and I whirl around to face Elain, "Don't worry," she soothes, her face still red and blotchy from crying, "Aunt Ripley will take care of her, and we'll see her again soon!" her voice was light and full of hope, just like it always was. Confused, I send a look to my father, but he doesn't seem fazed at all by her words.

Nesta is across the room, but I watch as she furrows her brow in confusion along with me, "What do you meant 'Aunt Ripley?'" I demand, and Elain's feint smile falters for a second.

"Aunt Ripley? The one who took Feyre? So that Feyre could take care of her..." she trails off, realizing that I have no idea what she's talking about. I turn to see my father giving me a sad look, Nesta silent across the room as her eyes dart between the two.

"I know it's hard to see her go," he says gently, "But she'll be back. She's somewhere better," I think of the words he had told her before she walked away, and I have to shake my head. He did something. Altered their minds.... Something isn't right. 

I shake out of his hold, his hand coming down to rest on his lap. They couldn't have gotten far. I can still reach them. A plan slowly takes root in my mind. A dangerous one, risky at best, but a plan nonetheless. 

I don't hesitate before running into our bedroom, and ripping up the floorboard to reach for the bag of coins underneath. I don't care that Elain gasps behind me, and I ignore Nesta's harsh stare as I move for the door.

"Where are you going?" My father asks as I slip on my thin coat, slipping the coins into one of my pockets.

"I-I'm going after her- just to make sure she settles in alright," I offer him the fakest smile I could muster, before turning towards the door. Before I could reach it, another hand lands on my shoulder, and I nearly slap the hand away, when I turn to see Nesta, her face pinched as she looks towards the door.

"Bring her back," she says simply, and I have to restrain my surprise. Nesta has never shown any kind of emotion other than disdain towards me and Feyre. It was always Elain. She would go to hell in back for her, and I think that somehow, she might be trying to thank Feyre for doing the same. 

I don't know why or how the beast's magic had no effect on us, but I know that it couldn't mean anything good for Feyre, so I push the thought to the back of my mind, and waltz out of the door. 

The roads are barren, the night sky scaring off most stragglers. Even with the wall, walking around in the night is discouraged, the stories of people disappearing in the night becoming all too common. 

I don't let fear stop me as I walk towards the one inn in town, the one inn where I'd find the person I'm looking for. A lone light is lit in the building, and I force a small, greeting smile at Gretchen, the inn keeper. Her age makes her seem small and fragile, but I know that she keeps a wide assortment of blades and daggers hidden behind that desk of hers, even more in her skirts.

"I'm looking for the mercenary, the women who was in town earlier today." I tell her, and she nods. We used to sell her any pelts we had-since she usually turned them into pillows and blankets-until she stopped having the money to buy them.

"23," she replies, and I give her a nod as I walk down the hallway full of empty rooms. When I reach the door, I slip my hand into my pocket, feeling the reassuring feeling of the money I find there. Feyre's money will last us. I can do more jobs with Gavin. I remind myself, before knocking determinedly on the door.