Chapter 12

"Did he make a fuss about you staying here?" Wren asked Alessandro. Her eyes wandered back to little Ophelia obediently sitting on the carpet, drawing in a sketchbook with supplies that Xavier had the foresight to provide her with. He was so kind to let his housekeeper prepare bedrooms for her and the kids, and stock on whatever he deemed they might need during their stay.

"I told you not to worry about it mom. I handled it." Alessandro sighed, sitting on the edge of her bed.

"Of course I worry. Look at Ophelia, she's been so quiet. The poor baby didn't say a word since you got here." Wren gave him a questioning stare.

"Okay Gee..." Alessandro huffed resignedly, "He may or may not have had company when we went back." He gave her an apologetic look, "And he may or may not have thrown a tantrum knowing we'll be staying here."

Wren shook her head in disbelief, "And?"

"And... I may or may not have punched him in the face." He kept his eyes glued to the carpet, fists tightened.

"You did what?" Wren gasped in shock. "Ales!"

"Mom, don't give me the whole 'he's your father and you should respect him' speech, okay? We're past that now. I can't respect a blatantly ignorant cheat who thinks he's entitled to everything. I made peace with my father being a complete douche bag and waste of time and energy. Now, can we please move on with our lives?" Alessandro pinched the bridge of his nose.

Wren slumped back defeatedly, worrying at her lip as she watched her son with frustration bubbling under her still feverish skin. Alessandro looked at her and his eyes softened. He leant in and kissed her forehead. "It's okay mom, please don't worry about us. We're so much stronger than you think, and we're happier to see you move on and stop letting him walk all over you. You taught us everything we know, and raised us into who we are single handedly, so please give yourself enough credit and move on, so that we could too."

She nodded, letting her head fall back onto the comfortable stacked pillows behind her. She took Alessandro's hand in hers. "The lawyers would be here first thing tomorrow morning. Are you sure you're okay with this?"

"This is your choice. This is your life so stop asking for anyone's approval. And yes I can assure you that all of us are more than okay with this." Ales said.

"I know but I just," Wren glanced at Philly, "Do you think she will grow to understand this?"

Ales kissed her hand and smiled, "If you think Philly might lack anything growing up, then you're wrong. She's got the most incredible mother in the world, and she's got brothers and a sister who would do anything for her. Plus, do you think Xavier will ever leave your side?"

Wren smiled finally and nodded. "I guess so..."

Alessandro knew there was still something weighting on her, even as Xavier stepped inside and sat on the armchair beside the bed, she was gazing absently ahead. Ales asked, "Are you worried about his reaction?"

Wren dismissed her son's worries, "Not at all, and even if he does, it'll just be a waste of his time... I'm more worried about custody. I can't let him take Ophelia from me."

Xavier sat up straighter, trying to contain his anger, "He will do no such thing. He might want to think twice before pressing for that. I'll make sure of it myself."

Helena turned to Xavier with a small smile. She trusted him, but there was still a nagging voice that wouldn't be silenced unless this entire case is over with and set in stone. "Hopefully Xav, hopefully..."

Alessandro stared between his mother and Xavier and smiled inwardly. He couldn't refrain from thinking how happy his mom would be with a man like him. Someone patient, and caring and responsible. When Ales had lost his dad -because he truly considers it a loss- Xavier was there for him. He filled in for the parent that was gone. He'd been there with him on every one of his achievements, helped him with homework, gave him advice, taught him to deal with people, took him on trips to camp and fish, taught him to drive, and many other things that a father should be doing with his children. In that sense, Xavier had been more of a father to him and Amber, but even more so to Lennon, and now Ophelia... No matter what he does in life, Alessandro would never be able to repay him for half of his kindness.