Special 2.0

"That is the prettiest girl I have ever seen in my life." That was the thought that went through the young boy's mind as he spoke it out loud.

Xavier furrowed his brows in confusion, wiping at his forehead as he turned to look where his best friend's eyes were fixed. He was too exhausted to focus on Zach's words. Their coach had worked them the entire afternoon in the glaring sun, and even now sitting on a bench in the shade of the old oak tree, he could not seem to pick up his breath fast enough.

"Who is she?" Zach asked again to no one in particular, though two of their friends were sprawled on the shaded ground panting before the bench they occupied.

"What are you on about mate?" One of them sighed in exhaustion.

"Her." He motioned to the double doors leading inside the school. Xavier narrowed his eyes, and through the blinding brightness he could make out the silhouette of a girl with her back turned to them, speaking to their coach.

As if on cue, the old man's eyes turned on them and focused on Xavier, singling him out of the group. "Gregory, come here for a minute."

Zach's eyes snapped to him in confusion, but he shrugged and jogged up to the man. Shaking the feeling of his friend's eyes following his every move. He suddenly stopped in front of the intimidating coach and cleared his throat, "Sir?"

"Ah," the man turned with a smile Xavier had never seen on his face before to the girl and explained, "Here, Gregory will show you to the principal's office and then to your locker. You can join in on the next class."

Just as Xavier's eyes turned to look at the girl, her soft timid voice sounded, "Thank you, sir."

He blinked twice, struck dumb and rooted to the spot even as his coach gave his shoulder a hard pat and left the two of them together. He would recognize those blue eyes forever, the blonde locks and petal rose lips and cheeks, and that voice- one that had talked and sung him to peace once. He could not forget her in a year, and often wondered if he would forget her in a lifetime.

This was the same girl he had gotten stuck with in the elevator in the summer holidays of a year prior.

"Uhm," She fidgeted with her sweater sleeve looking at her shoes awkwardly, "I-I'm sorry. I don't mean to bother you. I just really don't know this place enough to not get lost... um, are you listening to me?"

Xavier closed his parted lips and swallowed, darting his eyes all over her face. She didn't remember him... of course she didn't. He shook his head, "Uh- Xavier," he stuck out his hand suddenly, startling her, "M-my name is Xavier, and you are?"

Getting over her surprise, Helena smiled warmly and finally met his eyes. They were so beautifully green they reminded her of fantastical forests she wanted to paint. She felt herself blush slightly and shook his hand, "I'm Wren... Helena Wren."

"And I'm Zachary Bradford." Suddenly a third voice joined their conversation. "This idiot's best friend, and officially your new best friend too." He winked at her.

Xavier's eyes widened and his heartbeat picked up as he stared between his friend's predatory gaze, and Helena's shy blushing one that was locked with his friend's. He felt an inexplicable urge to step between them and hide her from his eyes.

Whenever Zach set his eyes on something or someone, nobody could stop him or stand in his way, although Xavier had never even tried since he had no reason to. He knew his friend's reputation and tendencies with the ladies, and now that he set his sights on Helena, could he really stop him?