Chapter 35 - Finale

"Do you want to take a nap? You seem quite tired." Helena brushed her girl's wild locks from her face. Helena had been by her side since morning. They had left for the therapist's office after she watched her girl eat, and they sat together in the waiting room with a tv playing in the background. Ophelia was colouring aggressively and Helena tried not to make it obvious that she was monitoring her closely under the pretense of reading a book. She sat down beside her when she saw her getting frustrated and throwing the colouring pencil away.

"It'll be okay mama," Helena said softly, brushing back her hair, "You're doing so well. Ms. Gillian is going to call us in a minute. We'll do this together okay?"

Ophelia pursed her lips, brows furrowed as she stared distantly and nodded. Helena sensed she wasn't quite happy to be there, but she knew her girl was slowly warming up to the idea. The first couple of times were very difficult, but Ms. Gillian, the therapist was very patient and encouraging and sweet that Ophelia had started slowly opening up. It was a miniscule reluctant change but still one nonetheless.

"Then afterwards, you'll be going for cake and lemonade with Jessica and Amber, remember? Aren't you looking forward to that?" Helena tried in a lightly teasing tone.

Finally. Finally. She got a bit of a smile and glint of excitment in her girl's eyes. It made her want to laugh or cry, maybe both. Though, she kept it together. The past few days have been hard on all of them, mostly Ophelia without a doubt, but things were at last starting to look up a bit. Ophelia was becoming somewhat more responsive, starting to communicate with people other than Helena, even if they were only immediate family. She could even leave her be for moments at a time on her own. It was progress Helena would take and capitalize on.

Amber, as promised, called her right after Ophelia's session was concluded. Ms. Gillian had gotten the little girl her favourite candy from the store, and chatted her up until she had a smile on her face. Now she was sitting in the back of a taxi happily alongside her mother as she spoke on the phone. 

"Are you done at the therapist's?" Amber wondered from the other end of the line.

"Yeah," Helena kept her tone light so as not to affect Ophelia. "We're on our way back now. Are you and Jessica home?"

"Jess just arrived a little while ago." Amber hummed, "Do you think Ophelia will want to come out with just the two of us?"

Helena looked to her side. Thankfully Ophelia was busy looking out the window. She took a deep breath and answered. "She seems excited about the idea. Just remember what we discussed. And in case anything-

"Yep, I got it mom. We're not taking our eyes off her, and if she seems agitated or uncomfortable we're calling you or getting back home right away." Amber recited back Helena's directions she's been giving them for the past few days. "You know you need to rest. You've hardly slept or had anytime for yourself these days, so please just sleep whilst we're out."

"Amy," Helena sighed, but she kept a smile on her face. She knew that both twins were worried about her and were trying as best as they could to take some of the responsibility off her shoulders. It warmed her heart up, but Helena could not sleep. In fact, she had something very very important to do. "We'll be there in about ten minutes? Just get ready both of you. Oh, and please, call your brother and have him take a break, even if it's just for thirty minutes to join you alright?"

"Duly noted." Amber singsonged, "Though I don't think Ales will comply, but I suppose I can convince him if I say Ophelia will be there."

"Please do." Helena hung up after a quick goodbye.

Had it been just a few days ago, Helena wouldn't have deemed it safe to let Ophelia out of her sights. Even if Inspector Jones had reassured her time and time again that the sharks had been taken care of and that her own safety and her family's won't be jeopardized, she didn't trust her family in the public just yet, especially not Ophelia. The media was still persistent in their coverage of the news, and they had been called and bothered one too many times by some reporters' to the point that they had to file for restraining orders and maintain security. Although moving house did help immensely in diffusing the risk, as well as it being a necessary change for Ophelia's situation. It was simply out of question to take her back to the same house where she'd been kidnapped.