Chapter 20

Xavier promised himself to wrap up work earlier than usual in the company, and go back home to freshen up and get Helen. This was a day he felt as though he'd been waiting for forever. It wasn't exactly like he never took her out to a dinner or lunch before, but now it felt official. It was also an important day for her, and he wouldn't have anything go wrong.

His assistant followed after him to update him about the next task scheduled, but his list was ever extensive. He always had things to do and attend to, or what some would simply describe as a no-life-work balance. This was the first time in a while since Xavier firmly instructed to cancel everything and gave his assistant the rest of the day off, which left the young man puzzled and confused. For a thirty seven years old, he was acting like a teenager on his first date. He felt nervous and excited at the same time, and rightfully so because of the time he had waited for it to happen.

Staring at his reflection, he saw it was almost time so he walked nervously to Helena's door and knocked twice. He heard a couple of hushed voices and recognized the first to be Amber's, the second Jessica's most likely. It was quite endearing that both girls were excited enough to help Wren get ready for the night.  

When the door flew open, every single one of Xavier's thoughts and words fled his mind as he stared speechlessly at the stunning woman in front of him.

"Sorry, I kept you waiting." Wren said self consciously, blushing as Xavier took his sweet time looking at her from head to toe. He'd never given himself the liberty to look at her the way he did now. He respected her boundaries and his own values enough not to drive them both down an irreversible affair. Having things just work out the right way was worth all the waiting they both did.

He noticed her hair was trimmed as it cascaded in straight glossy locks down her back, loosely held back from her face by a simple golden pin. The colour red had never seemed more alluring than when she wore it, and Xavier swore he could stand right there and stare at her for the entire night.

"You look... splendid." He said with a dazed gaze and voice. "Well words actually don't do you justice."

"Xav," Wren replied shyly. She was surely glowing red especially knowing that Jessica and Amber were just inside listening to their exchange. It's been awhile- well, years, since she'd received any such compliments, aside from polite ones from Xavier himself, but it felt like nothing of this sort. She couldn't remember the last time she felt this way, which is probably indication enough that it's been too long. He looked gallant and dashing. Clad in an all black suit, with a white crisp shirt underneath, and a silk deep red tie that matched her dress. Knowing her own children, she suspected Alessandro and Lennon probably gave him that memo. "You look quite handsome too."

Xavier chuckled quietly extending his arm to her. Wren took it with a gleeful smile as he led her down the stairs and to the car, opening the passenger's seat door for her.

The children didn't show but she highly doubted they were trying to give them privacy. They were probably playing detectives or gossiping about their date in secrecy. After all, it was their mother's first date since their douche of a dad, and they wouldn't have allowed any man to get close to her if it weren't Xavier, but even when it's the latter, they wanted to make sure it all goes smoothly and that she's treated right. 

It was a quite a chilly night outside, but it was surprisingly pleasant. Though it was more than perfect for Xavier, having his lovely lady by his side, filling the usual silence of his car with soft chatter about the day she had with the kids. He looked the entire drive with an unwavering smile and bright eyes that she blushed under ever so lightly. She wasn't used to being taken care of like so, to be the sole centre of someone's attention, their fixation. She almost felt too overwhelmed by self-consciousness but then she reprimanded herself, remembering that she was truly lucky to have the man before her be the giver of such attentions. Even if for one night, Helena wanted to feel once like this was about her and him, nothing else. No wondering about anything else.