Chapter 13

It had been a rough week for Helena and her children. Although Xavier did his best to make them feel right at home and they lacked absolutely no comfort whatsoever. It was a challenge to keep herself distracted from thoughts about her husband and the fate of their children- and even harder to not think about what toll it would be taking on all of their lives. She wasn't particularly independant since she never got the chance to actively build a life of her own. Wren didn't often regret much because she wouldn't exchange her children for the world, but she did regret being so passive about not thinking ahead... She hadn't taken a chance on herself and maybe, if she did, she would know exactly what to do and what to say at this particular hard time. 

She could have had advice and reassuring things to say to Ales and Amber who'd been slightly more distant than usual, even though they tried not to show. They didn't want to bother her with whatever's going on in their lives, and despite it being done with good intentions, she wanted to be there, to offer something and not feel completely useless. The only silver lining she could think of was the fact that Jessica, Xavier's housekeepers' daughter, was so lovely to both Ophelia and Lennon who seemed smitten with her.

"A penny for your thoughts?" Alessandro's voice shook her out of her stupor. She was feeling very nervous the entire week, counting down for this particular day.

"I think they're here mommy." Ophelia ran towards her before she could respond. She looked over the railing and spotted the middle-aged men, dressed smartly with their briefcases in hand as they were led to Xavier's office.

He had been more than sweet and welcoming since they stayed at his place. And for this day, he assured her that he won't be going to the company and let her deal with this entire procedure on her own, no matter how much she insisted she'd be fine. Amber had been clever to pack her stuff since she found a formal dress amongst her clothes, and she spent the morning twisting and braiding her hair in different buns until her fingers and scalp hurt. Following her fever, her skin remained pale and lifeless, and her period was definitely not helping in that department. 

Wren gave Ophelia a kiss on the cheek and settled her in the kitchen island where she could draw and colour under lovely Jessica's supervision. "Be a good girl and behave for mama, will you?"

"Yes mommy!" Ophelia replied with a determined grin that warmed Wren's heart and eased some of her nerves.

"Very well, I'll catch up with you soon princess." She ruffled her hair, and was shortly stopped before she reached the home office by Ales who insisted to attend the meeting with her.

"I'm alright. Xavier is with me, okay? I need you to just relax and not think too much about this. Everything will go smoothly." She said reassuring him for the thousandth time.

He sighed in resignation and trudged back defeatedly to the living room. Lennon was probably in the garage where Xavier had left him with what the young boy viewed as a treasury of endless electronics and devices and gadgets that Xavier had been designing or toying with ever since he was his age. Knowing Lennon, he would be obsessing over everything and won't emerge from that garage willingly. She was at least thankful for that kind of distraction.

"I'm sorry I'm late." Wren apologized as soon as she stepped inside; shaking both men's hands.

Xavier looked up from his desk at the sound of her voice, and caught himself staring attentively at her in the smart dress she was wearing with her hair up highlighting her features, her long neck and collarbone with the delicate ivory skin. He averted his gaze immediately digging his nails in his palms to stop himself from going down that lane. It was bad enough to have her in walking distance for a week and not be able to touch her every time he laid eyes on her. She probably had no idea about the internal battle he was waging every day, and that was on him, but he also thought it would be impossible for her not to notice how his gaze lingers on her, or how his breath catches in his throat. He was a thirty something man acting like a seventeen year old all over again, and what was worse is that he did not completely hate that thought at all.