Chapter 7

The dark featured man now sat in the living room as though he fitted right in. Ales, Lennon and Amber all were around hil, talking animatedly about his travels and news. He, as usual, didn't hold back on gifts and souvenirs he insisted to bring each of them whenever he went away.

Wren smiled standing in the doorway and observing this selfless man that always managed to put a smile on her children's faces and, irrefutably, on hers. He left the youngsters to their conversations and walked up to give her a quick hug. Ophelia had monopolised him since he stepped foot in the house, he hadn't even had time to properly greet Helena.

"How are you always so radiant, beautiful lady?" Xavier mused, taking her hand dearly in between his.

"Ever the charmer, Mr. Gregory." Wren chuckked, squeezing his hands and asking about how his last trip had been. She hadn't seen him since that night in his study. He had barely rested that day before he was yet again on another trip.

Xavier, besides being at the top of the business chain, loved travelling and adventuring with a passion and he had taken every opportunity to do it throughout all his young years- even now, it still appealed to him despite the fact he only ever did it for business purposes. Tall with broad shoulders, jet black hair and coffee eyes, he was always popular even when they were much younger. However, Xavier had some policy of no marriage and no relationships. He believed in that one true love, a soulmate that comes along once in a lifetime. He'd always said that once he finds that person, he would show them the world- give them the world, 'As cheesy as that sounds.' He had joked. He wanted to know them in and out, body and soul, but the love he dreamt of, Wren though, transcended mundane conventions. For a business tycoon, he was quite the romantic.

She was listening to him recount the summary of the latest business deal that kept him away the past couple months when the front door flew open, Zach treading inside and the chauffeur following with his suitcases up the stairs.

He looked from his wife to his old friend and then to their joined hands and raised a challenging brow. "Xavier, still pining for things that aren't yours, I see."

Wren gulped down her irritation and pat Xavier's hand before she let it go, giving him a reassuring smile. She turned to her husband. "I won't allow you to speak to my guests like that, Zach. What are you doing here anyway?"

"Now I need permission to return to my house and see my children?" He asked, pinning his wife with a daring stare.

"By all means, do so. It's hard to remember the last time you 'returned to your house and children' unsollicited and unannounced." Wren retorted sarcastically before she smiled dismissively at Xavier's questioning stare, and ushered him back into the living room where he took a seat beside her on the sofa.

Zach stomped inside unceremoniously and sat on the vacant armchair. His children stopped at once and stared at him as though he'd materialized from thin air. Some smiles instantly dropped as they stopped fidgeting with their gifts. Only Amber offered a small smile that didn't reach her eyes. Ophelia scrambled to her feet and took a seat between her mother and Xavier, watching the man in the armchair as he chanced a tentative joyous look at all of them.

Wren cringed inwardly at how awkward and half-hearted it seemed. She shook that mental thought and watched Lennon carefully get to his feet and gather his stuff, going upstairs without a word. Alessandro sighed and excused himself to go after his brother.

Xavier stared between Ophelia and Zach worriedly. He knew his friend of the past had become an unbearable douche, a despicable man who did not deserve Wren's love, time, or tears. He did not deserve the blessing that were the children she'd brought him.