Chapter 31

Helena could recall every little reckless thing she did in her entire life. Granted, there weren't many; she had a good head on her shoulders, and she was most definitely aware of when she was doing things she might regret. Walking down the familiar gravel path, her feet tired of moving, her body weakened and heart grew heavier with each step she took. The trees lining the road on either side provided great cover, and the sun peeking through was a welcome companion that defroze her numb limbs. Too occupied to listen to the song of birds, the rustling of leaves in the breeze, the distant car engines in the main street far behind where the taxi dropped her.

Bradford Mansion loomed ahead beyond the imposing iron gates. It seemed haunted and deserted. Not particularly in the way it looked, because even if the people who worked there were let go, the mansion still stood solid and attention-demanding, the face of it bathed in sunlight, the overgrown grass and trees gave it a more rustic and vintage allure. The sheer size of its gates had made her feel like that young girl she was when she'd first arrived here.

Before she had Amber and Ales, she lived along with Zach in his city appartment while his mother and older brother lived in this house. The decision to move in wasn't one any of them consciously made, but as his mother was taking her last breaths she'd told him, 'Son... Take care of this home and raise a happy family. These walls have witnessed much joy and little sorrow. It is now your and your brother's time to take over.'

Robert hadn't wanted to stay in a house so full of memories after his mother was gone. Helena understood the house had brought him pain by reminding him at every corner of the people who'd left never to come back. She knew that pain well enough to know Robert wouldn't be able to make this mansion his home. It was the same way she couldn't make herself stay at her childhood home either, and instead chose to never go back to it.

The first day she stood in front of these gates, they were a brilliant polish, thrown open in welcome. The gardens reeked of the scent of blooming spring flowers, the grass looked cut to measure, and the windows blindingly glinted in the sun. She had taken a deep breath and with a big smile turned back to see Zach standing by the twin pram. Their beautiful babies sleeping inside peacefully.
Her husband, she couldn't believe it then that they were married and with kids so young. Zach had been prepping this house to become their family home and brought her over as a surprise on their kids'  half-year birthday. Back then, his eyes held no mischief, his words held no lies, his touch didn't repulse her. Back then he was good, loving, caring.

Now the rusty closed gates stared her down almost mockingly. The facade of the house seemed angry. It was a shame such a beautiful place with beautiful memories would stand tainted with her sadness and tragedy for the rest of its life. Such a waste of a good space she once swore to cherish and take care of. Her stomach revolted, the moment she put her hand on the iron, its freezing bite on her hand sobering. Slowly pushing the door inward, it heavily moved an inch at a time until it was cracked open just enough for her to slip through. The lovely weather and its insinuations was almost mocking the state of her life at the moment. 

Spending many hours at the police station proved helpless. They hadn't gotten anywhere near finding an actualy lead on Ophelia's location nor whoever kidnapped her. All their evidence was pointing elsewhere and for the life of her, Helena couldn't shake off the uneasy feeling that had taken over her body. Going on more than a day of no sleep, she felt drained and useless but she couldn't close her eyes and rest no matter how much people would tell her. She ambled the paved steps swarmed by overgrown weeds towards the entrance of the house and took a deep shuddering breath. She fished her phone out of her pocket, fumbling with the keys of the front door and the handle. It made an ominous creaking sound as it cracked open. The foyer was empty, the sofas to the left where they used to entertain passing guests were hidden beneath linen covers. A layer of dust settled on every surface she could glimpse, except that a single path had been cleared. It looked like footsteps have trekked back and forth messily and carelessly streaking the floors. Helena took a shaky breath and looked around. Her phone in hand with the last text pulled up on the screen. She looked down in time to see the device flash with a call from Xavier, but before she could take it, her knees gave out from beneath her and with a loud thud she fell to the floor. It only took a second for her vision to swim in black, and the scream that echoed off the walls sounded nothing like her voice.