Chapter 6

It was the end of the school year before Wren really had time to process the events of the last few months. Alessandro and Amber came back home as usual. They always took their time to decide if, when, and where they would travel for vacation since Wren didn't mind anymore. They were adult enough to make those types of decisions for themselves.

Christmas break wasn't quite how any of them hoped or envisioned, thanks to Zach and his ministrations. The house had grown eerily quiet and awkward, before both Zach and Amber went away after the holiday. Helena hadn't known what transpired before confronting her husband, but when Lennon and Alesso filled her in on the events of that morning -watering down the story- she knew what prompted Zach's mood that day. Yet, it still felt like the calm before the storm even now. There was an undeniable melancholy in the air that Wren couldn't lighten up with chocolate treats or sweet smiles.

Nonetheless, she was glad when both Ales and Amber came back to spend time home. She had always tried to make it a safe space they can run back to whenever and wherever they are or they're going through. Ales had graduated and Amber still had one semester to go, but both of them were excited to start interning in Bradford Industries to get a feel for the way things worked and gain experience. She never pressured them into choosing a certain career path, but she knew their choice was out of wanting to please their father when they still believed him to be a wonderful man, and maybe they felt pressure from his side to continue on with what they're doing now... Either way, they never complained to her about it.

Len, the boy too bright for his age, not only graduated high school with perfect scores, but he did so two years earlier than his peers. Helena could sense he was still hesitant to tell her about the universities he wanted to apply to, in fear of worrying her. She would always worry, but she gave him space and time to think about it, even though Wren was reluctant to let him go so soon.

Ophelia these days was in a grumpy mood whenever she remembered she will be starting elementary school. Wren remembered she was just as unhappy about it when she was a child, but eventually she made friends and learned to love her time there. Ophelia would be fine too. Then, Wren will have nothing to do but pace around the lonely house all day... She was not thrilled with that thought.

Following her last talk with Zach -she still mulled everything that has been said over and over in her head- she could notice he was somewhat trying to make amends to the kids. She didn't doubt he loved them, but he had a very odd way of showing it, or rather, not showing it. He was still trying, and... 'That had to mean something didn't it?' She instantly shook the thought from her head. She promised not to make excuses for the man anymore. She had hoped he would make it right with the kids, but knew full well that they were through. Whatever feelings Helena had so dearly harboured towards him, and whatever utter chaos insued from her wishful persistence were now gone. She could feel nothing when she looked at him- nothing but sadness and anger.

"Uncle Xavier!" Ophelia excitedly squealed as she ran to where Sharon stood holding the door for Xavier Gregory. Xavier was once Zach's best friend. Emphasis on 'was'. The three of them had known each other since they were teenagers, and Xavier was best man at their wedding. He's been a true and faithful friend to both of them for a very long time- that is until Zach had become what he had become.

Xavier was the only person whom Wren could call a friend. The person who cared enough for her well being and that of her children. After Robert, Zach's older brother, got married and moved away with his wife. She had absolutely no one in the world to turn to aside from Xavier. He couldn't know how much it meant to her, but he was the one person she hoped to never lose, aside from her children.

"Come now, Ophelia, you are suffocating him." Wren laughed at her little girl as she clung to Xavier's neck with both arms in a tight hug. He was chuckling, and kissing the little girl's hair.