Chapter 14

The impressive building of the Bradford Headquarters stood tall and towering over its surroundings in the busy street. The last time Helena found herself staring at these walls was years ago. It was definitely more modern and impressive than she had remembered. Her palms started sweating slightly.

"Is everything alright?" A big warm hand settled on the little of her back making her shoulders drop with a shaky breath. They had walked into the lobby and every eye in the viscinity turned on her and Xavier in curiousity. She doubted any of them had a clue who she was, but she could not help the slight panic that arose in her chest. She was certain the attention was mainly on the man walking next to her. It wasn't everyday that someone like Xavier Gregory strolled in casually.

She fished in her wallet for her ID card- an excuse to escape all the stares and Xavier's worried gaze. Helena mumbled, "I'm okay."

"Mr. Gregory, how may I help you?" One of the receptionists that Wren certainly did not recognize, spoke, not hiding the fact that she was blatantly staring Xavier up and down.

Wren rolled her eyes and gave her a smile, pushing her ID card onto the desk. The receptionist gaped at her for a few seconds and then flushed. "M-Mrs. Bradford, I-

"It's alright. We won't be long." Wren dismissed her worries, and walked to the elevators with Xavier and the lawyers on her heel.

Xavier chanced another look at her. She seemed to be deep in thought, but he doubted it was about herself. He would bet all he owns that she was thinking about the children and the ripple effect this will have on their lives. Granted, they had heard so little from Amber, who was supposedly staying at a friend's house for the past few days. Ales, despite hanging around and doing his best not to alarm his mother or younger siblings, seemed unusually distant as well. As for Lennon- the boy was too clever for his own good, but sometimes Xavier worried that his adeptness at hiding away his feelings and reactions would do him more harm than good in the long run. Luckily, Ophelia had started school and barely had time to occupy her little mind with all that's going on.

Wren wore a maroon knee-high dress and a black blazer on top, her hair cascaded down her back in luscious waves. She decided lipstick and a dusting of blush would have to do the job. Xavier still thought she looked gorgeous. He bumped her shoulder playfully with his, offering her an encouraging smile. "Are you nervous? You know, you don't have to face him if you don't want to."

Wren smiled at him as they walked out of the elevator. He tried all morning to convince her that she wouldn't have to see Zach's face if she didn't wish to, but she wanted to still do this on her own. She owed that much to herself. "I can do this. I have to... plus, I'm not alone."

Xavier squeezed her hand as they reached her husband's office. The assistant's desk was unoccupied and nobody else seemed to be around. A hint of discomfort settled in Wren's chest as she darted her gaze away from the men beside her. What would they think of her? She was almost certain of how this all would unfold, and she didn't particularly look forward to walking in on her husband screwing his new assistant with an audience. Xavier's hand pressed on the little of her back as though to give her courage, and she fought the burning of her cheeks as she rapped on the door firmly. Whispers and shuffling noises came from inside as they waited for a couple of minutes, then the door flew open. A petite short-haired brunette -at least ten years younger than Wren- stepped out in a dishevelled state: her lipstick was all smudged, strands sticking to her glistening skin. She didn't even shy away from the gazes turned on her as she inquired with an annoyed tone of voice, "What is it? Mr. Bradford is quite busy right now."

Xavier's blood started boiling and he hadn't even seen the bastard yet. He stepped up next to Wren as if to physically shield her from the unexpected betrayal that hit her in the gut. Her heart twisted and her throat felt dry. How stupid did Zach make her seem in public on countless occasions? She didn't keep track because it never directly affected her. However, now in front of Xavier and two other stragers, she felt absolutely mortified. How could he do this to her?