Chapter 22

"An exhibition?" Wren asked with a raised brow, chewing slowly on a piece of dark chocolate. She was feeling a bit lethargic from the lack of sleep and constant work she'd been doing for the past couple of weeks. Even so, she felt the most alive and happy she had in years.

"Why not?" Jessica looked up to catch her eye. She sat at the kitchen island with her laptop open, helping Helena who stood by her side looking at the screen. For the past week or so, and ever since Wren found out that Jessica was an Arts major, and most importantly a talented artist -though the young girl didn't believe she was any good- she had enlisted her help in the project she had dedicated herself to finishing. Jessica pulled some examples on her screen. "It could be both an opening and fund-raising ceremony. Especially if Mr. Gregory helps, we can have high profile attendance that will surely make it a success, plus we'll be helping artists. I know a lot of them who will be eager to participate in something like this."

"That is actually a brilliant idea." Helena thought about it some more. Xavier will be more than willing to help them, and it will benefit the participating artists just the same. It was true she didn't exactly like those types of events. She had her fair share of stuffy fancy events in the first few years of her marriage to Zach, but this was different. "Won't it be time consuming?"

Jessica shook her head. "I think it'll be very possible to accomplish within a week. I can contact the artists personally and give them the timeframe of a week to contribute to the exhibit. Most of them will have pieces to offer if they can't get one done in the allotted time. The hard part might be organizing the event itself. I mean getting the gallery or exhibition hall, and preparing it." Jessica gave Wren a cheeky glance, "Then again, I'll bet Mr. Gregory can get it done in the blink of an eye if you ask."

Wren blushed imperceptibly and gave the young girl's shoulder a playful swat, shaking her head with a smile.

"Mommy, Jesse!" Ophelia came running into the kitchen. "I'm so hungry I want to eat."

Helena bent down to get her hug and kiss from her little girl and ruffled her hair. She turned to make her a sandwich as Jessica helped her onto a stool. "You finished early today, mommy?"

The little girl nodded her head eagerly, "Yes, Ms. Norwell said she had an emergy- emergeny-

Jessica ruffled her hair and held back a smile at the adorably stuttering girl. "An emergency, Philly."

"Yes!" She nodded, "So we won't have any more class today."

Her school must have given Xavier's chauffeur a call to come pick her up. Xavier had thought and taken care of all these details way before Wren could even bother with them. She smiled inwardly, handing her girl the sandwich she just made, and giving Jessica one as well.

"Thank you!" The girls both said simultaneously. Helena couldn't help but feel a strong wave of melancholy mid-way through their chatter when she thought about Lennon.

It's been almost a week since he had left to start his semester at college, but every single day ever since, she'd feel a sudden rush of sadness wash over her when she remembers he'd no longer walk through the kitchen door and ask her to make him something to eat, or hug her every morning and ask how her day went. He called every day since he left, but she missed him with every bone in her body. Having something to work on had surely helped her with coping, and she was grateful for Xavier for being wonderfully supportive.

"Mommy," Ophelia hesitated. "Do you think Amy will want to go with us?"

Helena sighed. That was another thing. Amber's mood had been all gloomy and dark the past few days. She had tried speaking with her, but she barely got anything out of her except for a brief explanation followed by a lot of tears. It hurt her to see her little firecracker so sad, but she couldn't do more than just hold her and comfort her. She knew she just had to give her time and space to heal from a broken heart, while watching over her from a distance.