Chapter 32 - The Climax

Perhaps ignoring the inevitable was never a wise thing to do. Everyone knew he would eventually go mad, driven to a dark place only a man who's had it all then suddenly nothing would know. Zachary Bradford was not the villain- at least no villain would admit that they are. Still, that would not change the fact that in most people's eyes he was indeed a despicable bad man. Maybe he was.

Zach never intended to get married so young. He simply didn't think he'd ever be able to love someone enough to want to take that step; nevertheless, take that step and have kids as well. He always thought he'd be a successful bachelor, leading a business, living in luxury, setting off wherever he wanted in the world, enjoying women and wine with friends of similar status. Then he met Helena, and his outlook had changed for a few years. He couldn't imagine not being with her, not living in his family home full of laughing twin toddlers and a beautiful loving wife. Certainly Zach from then would never think he'd grow tired and sick of it all. He wouldn't know with his expanding business, his paranoia would grow and his familial enjoyment would dwindle until it is no more. Who could've guessed then that he would be a cheater and a failure of a father? He'd seen it, and did nothing about it. He'd known it was inevitable that eventually his wife would leave, and so would his children. They'd grow sick and tired of tolerating a f*ckup like him. Just like his mistresses left one after the other as soon as they got what they wanted. It was a slippery slope that he'd gone down and wouldn't have managed to climb out of even if he'd tried. Like a domino, the last piece to crumble was his money, his business, the last thing he had, and with it certainly part of his sanity would shatter away.

There came a tide of headlines he could not escape:

Business Mogul Xavier Gregory withdraws from all dealings with Bradford Industries, co-owned by no-longer best friend and partner Zachary Bradford.

Helena Quinn, most known as Helena Bradford, separates from husband Zachary Bradford under mysterious and unclear circumstances after two decades of marriage.

Xavier Gregory spotted on romantic dinner with Helena Quinn, previously Bradford, his ex-friend and business partner's divorcée. Dare we assume this new coupling is the cause of the sudden divorce?

It was endless, really. It seemed as though everyday, there were a hundred headlines tailored and sitting in waiting specifically for him to read and lose his cool over. Zach didn't know when it started or how long it had taken, but somehow along the way, he'd ended up alone, not even one of his usual mistresses by his side.

He'd gotten a notice on a miserable day, reminding him of the status of his unpaid debts that he'd taken to recompensate for the losses his company would have suffered when Gregory &Co had withdrawn their investments and cut off all ties. He had to do something and be quick about it. A bank loan made sense. After all, he'd be able to make that money back and pay it off in turn. He didn't account for his expensive habits, all his spendings and mistresses' lavish purchases. He didn't account for the time he took off instead of working like he should have. Distraction, and a life he could no longer afford. Then the lawsuit followed, and he had been so desperate to keep it secret, hide it from the public. If nobody sees it then it doesnt exist.

Jet-setting around the world with his entertainment of the month became harder to manage. Affording their high-end taste and demands became difficult. It meant less women, less travel and lavishness. That then turned into more liquor, and an unhealthy fixation on salvaging what's left to save. It seems as though he was a bit too late. Paying his company's debts wasn't an option, but not affording his lifestyle was a blow to his ego that hurt. And would having some money to support himself be so bad after all? If he were to get loans, nevermind that they're illegal, it would allow him to be comfortable, to stay focused on fixing the situation. Yes, that seemed perfectly reasonable to his never entirely sober brain, and he did so.