Part 2: The day it all fell to pieces

There was a gasp.

"You finally up Eren?" You asked, he kept falling asleep even though you were meant to be working.

"Huh? Mikasa, Y/N..."

"We have to get going." You commented, it would be getting late soon and you didn't your mum to yell at you again.

"What? wait, why are we here?"

"How deeply can you fall asleep in 15 minutes? My god, it's like your only goal IS to sleep."

"Oh shut up, I had a weird dream but I can't remember it..."

You picked up your branches and handed Mikasa hers.

"H-hey Eren, why are you crying?"

You turned, somewhat true to Mikasa's word, Eren wasn't really crying, he looked more like his eyes were just watering.

Eren confirmed your suspicions by reaching for his eye, he was definitely surprised by the tears there.

"I think it's just pollen in my eyes..." He said.

"C'mon, we have to go." You said again, the pair finally listened and started following you as you made your way home.

_______________________________________

about half way through you encountered Hannes, he was always a joy to be around, despite Eren's protests and insistence that he works.

"Yo, Mr. Hannes!" You called out as you spotted him.

"Ahh, Y/N! How good it is to see you again, Eren and Mikasa too! C'mon, want a drink?"

"Augh, you stink of alcohol, you've been drinking again haven't yo-"

Eren was cut off by you elbowing him.

"Be nice Eren." You scolded your younger brother. "Anyways, we're too young to drink Hannes."

"Shouldn't you be working anyways?" Eren asked, you were about to elbow him again.

"Yep! We're guarding the gate today. Being here makes us hungry and thirsty, a little bit of alcohol may get into our drinks, but it's no big deal."

"What if something happe-" You elbowed Eren again.

"Y/N CAN YOU KNOCK THAT OFF!?"

"Be nice to Mr. Hannes, these walls have held up for 100 years, there's no reason for something to happen today, even so Mr Hannes. You should try to lessen the drinking over time, maybe half the alcohol every day?"

Hannes shrugged his shoulders before laughing.

"I guess it ain't a terrible idea Y/N, I'll give it a shot for a week. Hahahaha."

You snickered at the joke, he always managed to sneak in puns when it was related to alcohol.

"All right, I won't keep you three any longer, you're parents must be getting worried."

"Cya Mr. Hannes, great talking to you like always!"

_______________________________________

"I don't understand how you enjoy being around him Y/N, he never does his job and is always drunk, he's meant to be guarding the gate but he wasn't even ready to fight them at that moment."

"Eren, the job of a soldier is to put their life on the line, if they are actually doing that then the civilians are in even more risk, it's better if people are calling them free loaders. Trust me on that."