Part 19: Making It Up

You were sat in the chair of your office, reading a letter from Historia when you heard a knock at your door.

"Come in." You called out to whoever was out there.

Mikasa strutted in, an irritated look on her face.

"Y/N..." She began. "Is it true that Ymir and the person attacking us was all part of your training plan?"

"It was, yes." You answered, a bit unsure of where this conversation was going.

"And is it also true that the person who attacked us was you?"

"Again, yes. I do have to ask why you want to know this?"

Mikasa stomped up to you and before you could even register that she had even taken a step, slapped you with enough force to knock you over and propel your chair across the room.

"You- You uncaring dickhead! You could have at least told us it would be combat before it!"

You groaned, not expecting such a powerful attack, you pulled yourself from the floor and hissed out a breath when you saw the large hand-print across your face.

"If I did, it wouldn't have been a surprise attack. I honestly should have brought more people to help, and there may yet be more traitors within the survey corps we don't know about yet. Considering all the transfers recently there may be as many as 5 more shifters. That's without considering how many people Reiner and Bertolt may bring with them from outside the walls and across the ocean. I just want you all to be prepared for anything they might throw at us. I promise I'll make it up to you. But for now just trust me when I say that this training is crucial to making it out of this conflict alive."

Mikasa huffed, folding her arms as she turned away from you.

"And how do you plan to make it up to us?"

"I'll make you a new house."

"No! I won't let you spend Historia and Frieda's money buying us a new h-"

"No, no." You cut her off. "I'll make the house, using my titan and spending my own money to buy the tools and materials, Historia already agreed to letting me use some land near a forest within wall Rose to make it, that's whats in the letter."

Mikasa sighed and turned back to you, checking on your face.

"I'm sorry for slapping you, but it will be okay. I still don't want you to heal it with your powers though, let it be a reminder you aren't some god among us."

You nodded.

"Got it..."

"Good, the Scout's Ball will be coming up soon. So you better have a nice suit to wear."

"I know..." You watched as Mikasa left the room.

The Scout's Ball, a annual event where the Survey Corps and a few of the higher-ups came all the way to HQ in order to splurge large amounts of money to drink and laugh the night away while re-appreciating the deaths of their comrades.

It was customary to bring someone there as a partner, to show to the ghosts of those watching that their sacrifices weren't in vain and you were living your life to the fullest.

After the event, all personnel were permitted to leave HQ for a few days in order to catch-up with family and friends. Though often the High Command of the Scouts would stay to make sure those who remained didn't cause any trouble.

You and Mikasa had already decided to go together when you first asked each other out. And now that the night was nearly upon you, it was time to find an outfit. Many of the other Scouts were doing the same.
_______________________________________