Part 18: Home Away From Home

You took a step back to admire the work you had done to your office.

A mannequin with a set of ODM gear with your own personal modifications sat near the corner, next to a table holding the new experimental thunderspears and 2 gun attachments to turn it into anti-personnel gear.

The wall behind was a large assortment of papers stuck to the wall with a wide array of notes and sketches regarding the gear, you were still experimenting with how you could improve the propulsion system.

You had a window view to the courtyard, where Hange would conduct experiments on you and Eren, soon to be Frieda and Ymir as well.

The room was well lit with lanterns and had a certain atmosphere, one of comfort and approachability. You took a seat at your desk and looked at the piece of paper on top of everything else.

Squad List

You already knew who you wanted on there, you just needed to scribble it down.

You pulled your focus from the paper as you heard a knock on the large, double doors.

"Come in." You called out.

Mikasa poked her head around the door.

"Oh, Mikasa. What is it?"

"Just coming in to see if you wanted any help, Captain."

"Don't bother with the whole rank thing unless it's a formal event or we're on an expedition. It's not really worth it."

"Understood. Have you picked a squad yet? The commander asked me to check if you had if I ran into you."

"I know who I want on it, though I haven't actually written it down yet. I'll get on that now and deliver it myself."
_______________________________________

"Quite the list you have here Y/N. Eren, Armin, Mikasa, Ymir, Jean, Connie and Sasha. And you wish to call it 'The Anti-Shifter Squad'. May I ask why?"

"With three titan shifters in the squad, two Ackermans, a strategic genius and many of the top 10 of the 104'th, my squad would be well equipped to handle any sentient titans we come across. Also since all of us have trained together for years, we can work well together to handle almost any situation."

"I see. Do you think you could take on the Founding titan then?"

"Assuming you mean without any limitations, such as the vow Frieda told us about. Likely not, though it is still possible."

"Do you think you could handle our opponents in combat?"

"Undoubtedly." You explained.
"As I said on the operation to rescue Eren from the Armoured titan. I could handily take on Reiner, my hardened knuckles would likely tear through his armour, and that's without considering the support of the new thunderspears. Bertolt would only be an issue if we encounter him prior to his transformation, as we have nothing to defend against his explosion, which Frieda told us could be increased to a devastating size if he wished it. Otherwise though, we can easily defeat our enemies."

"Good, I expect you to be out and training your new squad adequately. The amount of manpower on that squad alone would likely be enough to take on the entirety of the Survey Corps, besides the Special Operations squad, of course."

"That being said, I wanted to know exactly when we plan to go and retake Shiganshina. I assume that is our next mission, no?"

"Your assumption is correct, the expedition will be occuring in a few months, when you have fully trained your squad and the rest of the scouts have learnt to use the thunderspears."
_______________________________________

Your squad stood in the forest nearby the scout's base, equipped with their ODMG and looking confused.

"I wonder why Erwin wanted us out here." Connie mentioned to Sasha.

"You idiot, it's obvious he's trying to see how we react to some sort of situation. The real question is what type." Jean cut in.

"If we're in a forest, then it may be to give us an advantage, or perhaps some other reason, like cover for enemies perhaps?" Armin held his chin while contemplating the location they were given.

"Run." Ymir simply shrugged while saying. Raising her hand as arcs of yellow lighting ran around her body.

Mikasa was quick to react, pulling both Armin and Eren out of the way of the incoming explosion, while Jean and Connie weren't so lucky, being thrown into a nearby tree and knocked out. Sasha had managed to sus out something being wrong and had moved away on instinct.

"Y-Ymir!?" Eren called, was she betraying them again? Right in front of the Scout's HQ?

He had no time to think however, as a blur went past him and he felt himself being tugged out of Mikasa's grasp and being pulled into the air. The figure let go, throwing Eren away before turning around and rushing back to the group as Ymir, now in her titan body, switched places with the individual and grabbed Eren in her mouth.

Mikasa flipped around, pulling out a blade just in time to clash with the hooded figure who had stolen one of her brothers from her. She felt herself being pushed over as she looked to see her blade had been completely shattered by the impact. She quickly got up and spun in the direction of her opponent, only to be left dazed as a quick boot to her head left her slumped on the floor for the time being.

Armin could only gawk in fear at their hooded assailant, being able to take down Mikasa so quickly as well as rival her strength was a near impossible feat, the only people who could do such a thing were other Ackermans, had another of them survived their clan's purge and sought revenge on those remaining?

He was quickly pulled from his thoughts as he pulled out his own blade and deflected the one thrown at him by his attacker. Armin jumped backwards and begin to grapple away, only to suddenly fall as one of his hooks were sliced through. 

Armin hit the ground hard, opening his eyes to see a blade at his throat and his hunter removing his hood.

"You all failed, Erens long gone by now, and most of you would be dead or out of commission if me and Ymir really wanted that."

"Y-Y/N! W-What's happening!?"

"A test, to see how you all react to a surprise attack, you and Jean managed to figure out the plot, but were too slow to act on the information before being attacked. I know Sasha is still out there, but she would stand no chance against two titan shifters working together." You pulled out a flare and fired a green shell into the air, letting Ymir know to come back and let go of Eren. 

You pulled Armin to his feet and helped him walk to the infirmary.
"Come on, you all need a lot of training. I don't wanna waste time waiting for you all to heal."

<==To be continued...===============