Chapter 8

Watanabe was hesitant to watch the twins during their practice since Suna was part of their club. However, Atsumu convinced her to go watch them, saying how she shouldn't let him influence her decisions. So, she ended up following them to their practice. 

As she was watching them, she decided to help Kita out. Kita stopped her at first, but she insisted that he just thanked her in the end. While she was helping him, she saw the girl who kissed Suna enter the gym. Her sudden presence caused her to be tense.

"What's wrong, Watanabe?" Kita asked.

"N-Nothing..." She forced a smile with a shook.

Soon whistle was blown and the members gathered around Kita and her for their towels and drinks. Watanabe continued to be tensed while the twins glared at the girl.

"Rintaro!" The girl squealed as she rushed towards Suna's side.

Suna smiled at her. "Hey, Mina. I didn't know you were coming to watch."

Watanabe felt like crying when she saw his smile. She hasn't been able to see his smile for a long time and now that she finally got to see it, it was directed to someone else and after their break up.

"I wanted to surprise you, of course!" She said before glancing at Watanabe with a smirk. "Also, we have nothing to hide now!"

Watanabe didn't know what to do, so she pretended not to notice her stare and glanced at Osamu. She could hear the couple talking sweetly to each other, making her roll her hands into tight fists. Was she doing this on purpose? Were they doing this on purpose? 

The other club members were confused at the sight. They thought Watanabe and Suna were still dating, but from what they see, that was not the case. Meanwhile, the twins rolled their eyes, understanding the meaning behind their actions.

When the break was over, the members, including Kita, went back to the court. Watanabe sighed in relief as that meant she didn't have to see the couple all over each other. As she was watching their practice, Mina came towards her with a smirk of victory. "Rintaro is mine now."

Watanabe wanted to cry at her words, but she stood strong. "You can have him."

Mina looked taken aback by her reply. "What? That's it? You have nothing else to say?"

Watanabe glanced at her with the best-disinterested expression she could make. "Am I supposed to say something more?"

Mina frowned. "Yes! You should have been more devastated! You should be saying how much this is hurting you!"

She was not wrong, but Watanabe was not going to show her that. "I don't need a cheater."

She then smirked towards Mina. "You should be careful as well. Once a cheater is forever a cheater."

Mina's face began to turn red in anger. "Technically, he didn't cheat! He didn't love you anymore!"

"Whatever makes you sleep at night," she said.

"I expected a more broken state!" Mina grumbled as she stomped her foot like a child throwing a tantrum.

"Guess you expected too much."

Mina glared at her as she gritted her teeth before sitting on the bench that was further away from her. Watanabe sighed in relief before heading to the bathroom. 

As soon as she was inside the stall, that was when she finally broke down. Tears flew down from her eyes non-stop as she clenched her chest in pain. How much does she have to suffer before she moves on from him? She let out her sorrow and pain freely before finally calming down gradually. She wiped her tears before exiting the stall to wash her face. She then headed back to the gym. 

When she entered, everyone has already changed back and was ready to leave. Watanabe quickly approached the twins who were looking around.

"Where were you?" Osamu asked as he handed her bag to her.

"Bathroom," she replied.

Before anyone of them could say anything else, Mina spoke loudly. "Rintaro, you did great today!"

Everyone turned their heads towards the couple and saw Mina hugging Suna. Suna just smiled and gave her a peck, making Watanabe subconsciously gripped onto her bag strap. Mina smirked as she looked at her before both of them left the gym together, hand in hand. Silence filled the gym while the other members did not know how to react. Meanwhile, Watanabe sighed softly before glancing at Atsumu who looked like he wanted to punch someone. "I am so going to bury that bitch!"

"Tsumu, don't waste your time on them," Osamu said as he held onto his twin's bag before he runs off to them.

There was an awkward cough from the third-years. "U-Um... We probably shouldn't be asking this, but are you guys really over?"

Watanabe forced a smile. "Yeah..."

"I'm sorry to hear that," they said with a frown.

"Suna, that asshole!" Atsumu yelled in anger.

"Is that why the three of you had a bruise?" Kita asked as he looked at the twins.

The twins tensed as they nodded slowly, making Kita sigh. "Don't use violence next time."

The twins nodded once again before all of them left the gym.

• • •

When Watanabe reached her house, she quickly headed to her room and took a shower. She was in a daze as she was drying her hair. When she turned off the dryer, the room was filled with silence. That was when her tears began to fall from her eyes. She couldn't cry out loud since her parents might hear her. She covered her mouth with both of her hands as she crumpled to the floor. She continued to cry until she heard a knock on her door.

She cleared her throat before replying, "Y-Yes?"

"Rumiko, dinner is ready," she heard her mother say from the other side of the door.

"I'm sorry, mom. I don't have an appetite," Watanabe said softly as she went under her blanket.

Her room door opened softly, revealing her mom who looked worried. "Rumiko, why aren't you eating again? Did something happened in school?"

"I just don't feel well. I want to sleep," she said as she pulled her blanket over her head.

Her mother sighed before closing her door as she headed out.

When Watanabe did not hear her mother's footsteps any more, she began to let her tears flow once again, drenching her pillow. She didn't know how long she was crying for before her eyes closed due to fatigue.