² ★ ℭ𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 𝔰𝔦𝔵𝔱𝔢𝔢𝔫 ★

THIS SHOULD HAVE BEEN A GOOD DAY

Her hair blew around her head at an almost peaceful pace, the sky was a clear blue, and the weather wasn't too hot or too cold. In all technical terms, it should've been a good day. But it wasn't. That day had no hope of ever being anything terrible, because it was the last time Dinah Thea Queen would ever lay eyes on Donna Troy.

If you could call it that, anyway. It wasn't like her body was out in the open. Her face normally adorned by that award-winning smile that could always make her feel better was hidden in between the confining walls of a shiny black coffin.

It didn't necessarily stand out amongst the crowd; the car that had transported it from Titans Tower was the same reflecting black, the people standing with their heads mournfully bowed and the ones forming a line outside the jet were all wearing the sun-absorbing color.

Yet somehow, it had grabbed DJ's eye the second she and Jason had pulled to a stop at the edge of the airfield. Maybe it was just because she knew what lied within it; who lied within it. It was so unbearably difficult to believe that the girl she had known for as long as she had been alive, the unstoppable badass that had been her friend longer than she could ever remember, had been reduced to a corpse forced to spend the rest of its days rotting in a coffin.

"You sure you're up to this?" Jason asked softly, slightly inclining his head to somewhat see her out of the corner of his eye.

DJ nodded, even though she was still clenching her arms around his middle like they were still riding at breakneck speed. She stared at the shiny coffin reflecting the bright rays of the yellow sun on its surface as it moved from the car. She could see Dick amongst the Amazonian women helping carry the heavy box, laying it outside the jet.

DJ finally slipped her arms from Jason's body, stepping warily onto the bleak looking pavement. She placed her helmet on her seat, taking just a few steps away from the bike. Her fists clenched with anxiety at her sides, the sleeves of the too-big jacket falling over her hands.

DJ hadn't set foot in Titans Tower since before Donna died. Jason had to forcibly pull her off Donna's corpse where she had been sobbing for about ten minutes, and keeping everyone else away from her. Eventually, the Titans had to take her body, so Jason was sent in (only making him hate them even more).

After she sobbed and screamed into his chest for another ten minutes while she watched the Titans gently place her oldest friend's dead body in the back of her bullet-damaged car, DJ had asked Jason to take her somewhere other than the Tower.

Bruce Wayne wasn't the only one who had safe houses dotted over the globe. The Queen family had their own little base in San Francisco in case they had to make a get away in the city. DJ herself had only been there once in her entire life; when she was eleven, and her family had to chase a well-known criminal from Star City.