³ ★ ℭ𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 𝔬𝔫𝔢 ★

THE WORST DAY OF DJ'S LIFE DIDN'T START HOW SHE THOUGHT IT WOULD

To be fair, people don't typically get handwritten notes from some higher power as a warning that their world was about to shatter. She wasn't expecting to wake up and find a little folded card, reading the words 'your boyfriend is going to die tonight.' But for a day to start like any other? It was like a cruel, malicious joke.

The gentle tapping against her bedroom window pane gently stirred her from her not-so-peaceful slumber. Despite the small impact the noise had in the room, DJ pushed herself out of bed with a smile, already half-awake. Over the last two months, she had gotten used to rising in the early hours of the morning to open the window, and her body had just adjusted to naturally awaken.

She padded across the floor, the sounds of dark floor planks creaking under her steps echoing across the empty room as she made her way to the window. DJ pushed the white curtains aside and grinned as her eyes fell on the floor person she would never mind getting out of bed for. She moved her hands to the bottom of the window and gently raised it high enough for Jason to duck through.

"You know it was open, right?" She asked teasingly, already knowing his response from the last handful of times he lectured her about her own safety while living in the worst city on the eastern seaboard.

Jason sighed and dropped his head dramatically, raising it to look at his girlfriend with exasperation. "Angel. This is Gotham. I don't care if it's for me, you have to lock your windows."

"Does that mean I should lock my door, too?" DJ asked mockingly, pretending to seem like she was seriously considering something. "'Cause it's unlocked right now, but if Robin thinks that I should lock it..."

"You better be fucking with me right now."

DJ laughed as the cape of the Robin suit dragged across the windowsill, wiping it clean of any remnants of the earlier night's rainfall. As soon as he had cleared out of the way, she moved towards the window again and, for Jason's peace of mind, snapped the lock shut. She listened to him groan whiningly as he flopped against the DJ's mattress.

"Patrol was so shitty." He said matter-of-factly, making DJ want to laugh as she moved away from the window. She gently sat next to him on the bed, running a hand through his hair as he sighed and closed his eyes at her touch.

"Because you're on-on-n-n lockdown?" She asked, smiling slightly as Jason wordlessly pointed at her, signaling that she had guessed correctly.

He groaned and folded his arm across his eyes. "I'm a grown ass man. Bruce doesn't need to fucking treat me like a kid."

DJ's next round of comforting words were cut short by her posture straightening as she noticed something smeared along the green leather of the Robin gloves. "Do you have blood on your hands?"

Jason glanced down at his hands, and raised his eyebrows in surprise to seeing the red along the green. "Huh. It's not mine." He added, interpreting the shock on her face as worry that he had been hurt on patrol.