★ ℭ𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 𝔱𝔢𝔫 ★

SIDNEY DIDN'T EXPECT DJ'S STRANGE GROUP

She didn't expect DJ to ever fall for someone like Jason Todd, she didn't expect DJ to choose her best friend to be Roy Harper, she didn't expect DJ to be so okay with opening her home to a little twelve-year-old girl who had spent the first twelve years of her life cowering under a sword. (Well, okay, maybe she didn't at first but she came around.)

But Sidney really didn't expect the group of her youngest sister's friends that stood in Bruce Wayne's Chicago safe house, discussing the Doctor handcuffed in the bathroom. She didn't really get why Dick was brooding like Bruce Wayne, or who the tall, magenta-haired woman was, or how someone somehow cloned DJ and turned the clone into a teenage boy with green hair, or what 'the Organization' wanted with Rachel.

But DJ was never very good at making friends outside of what she considered her family, so Sidney didn't comment on how unnatural it was for DJ to talk so un-nervously about Star Wars with Gar, sitting on the table, debating which of the original trilogy was better. DJ would gladly talk Star Wars with anyone who asked, sure, but there was something so natural about the way that she leaned on her palms, or didn't stutter or stammer over her words. They were talking like they had been best friends forever, not like they had only met each other a week ago.

And DJ was the youngest in her family, and was treated as such, but Sidney would have never expected her sister to become so mature to Rachel, who seemed to adopt DJ as her older sister. DJ was always pretty childish, but also got how irritating it could be to be condensated to, so she had somehow got Rachel to laugh while also making her understand Dick's overprotectiveness more.

And DJ had pretty much never taken to strict authority. Like, never. Ever. The only time she would listen to anyone being strict was if she was related to them. DJ would listen to her parents, and her grandparents, but she would scoff at even Aunt Sara's instructions. So how the fuck did Kory Anders get the youngest Queen to listen to her? Sidney had no fucking clue. DJ couldn't be paid to comply with useless orders (unless they were from the masked side of her family), so Sidney expected an argument to arise when Kory told DJ to move her White Arrow case off the table, in a snappish way, but DJ just apologized and moved it off the table.

Dick and DJ, however, was less of a surprise. Dick himself seemed a lot more Bruce-like, silent and reserved, but DJ had known him the longest out of her group, so she was seemingly the only one to get Dick to laugh genuinely, or pull him from his own little corner and actually talk normally to the others. It was what she was best at with all of her family, and it seemed that DJ was best at it with others, too.

"Gar, do you seriously believe that Boba Fett was a good guy?" DJ asked Gar with a scoff.

"That's not what I said." Gar said back defensively. "I just said that he deserved a second chance."

"Are we talking about two different Boba Fetts'? 'Cause it feels like we're talking about two different Boba Fetts'."

"Will you two stay on topic?" Kory asked sharply, and DJ and Gar brought their discussion to a halt.