4. A talk in the woods

Viridian

"You're upset. Why?" Were the first words Viridian said to his mate.

Lyris was stunned into silence by the deep baritone of his mate's voice. It was like hearing his favorite song on repeat.

"Huh?" Lyris looked so out of it.

Viridian cursed to himself before stepping forward and flicking his mate on the forehead.

Lyris shook his head before narrowing his eyes at Viridian.

"What was that for?"

"You weren't listening," Viridian said and shrugged, stuffing his hands in his pocket.

Lyris blushed and scratched his head.

"What did you say?" He mumbled.

"Why were you upset?" The vampire asked and leaned against the tree to his left.

His eyes roamed all over his mate, studying him to his heart's content.

He noticed that his mate was shorter than him by at least a whole feet. He noticed the dimple on his face that sat even when he wasn't smiling.

But he was broken from his stare when Lyris squirmed under his gaze.

"I wasn't upset," Lyris denied.

Viridian concluded that his mate was lying and stepped forward, ready to compel him.

Lyris' breath hitched at their proximity.

"You can't compel me," Lyris whispered. "It's pointless."

Viridian then noticed the bracelet on his, he sighed.

He didn't like it when Lyris felt upset. It didn't settle well with him. He felt a gnawing sensation all over his body because his mate was upset.

Personally, Viridian didn't like it.

He didn't like that his physical and emotional needs depended on his mate's wellbeing.

Their mate bond buzzed around them like electricity, bound with sharp needles.

Their mate bond looked weird.

It had an unusual shape to it. Their colour looked somewhat... black.

Only Alpha wolves had a visible bond with their mate--which is usually blue, which also fades after their mating.

Lyris stared at the thin bird-like lines stretching around him and his mate, and he couldn't help but frown.

Viridian noticed that and stepped back, making Lyris' frown deepen.

Viridian felt the same gnawing sensation at his chest and he felt uneasy.

He stepped closer to his mate and the gnawing sensation reduced ten fold.

"You feel it too," Lyris whispered, staring at Viridian's face.

Lyris stepped forward to touch his face but Viridian stepped back, making Lyris' face fall.